Chapter 19) A Talk with Two

●●●

[ Wednesday March 15th, 2017 ]

-----

       Two weeks later, and still the families have kept mostly quiet, much to Raven’s discomfort and unease. The only news to grace past her ears was the decision for Catrina to be Branley’s second in command, a choice that Raven found strange after her initial shock. She had never been one to be into this sort of stuff. Raven had previously seen her as her only friend, but now? Well, I suppose sometimes these things can bring out a person’s true colors.

       It was a chilly afternoon in the early spring. By late February the snow had begun to melt, and now the flowers were sprouting from the ground, trees holding their newly found blossoms. They bloomed under the moon, these special plants which flourish only from it, and would surely dry out under a sun's rays. This special vegetation that only thrives in the darkness, fed by the lunar light.

       The royal garden of Vamparial was beginning to bloom. The plants, both dark and glowing, were plentiful and vibrant. They covered every square inch you could could find and name. Flowers and grass grew in between the cobblestone pathways. Vines climbed up the old castle walls with leaves, thorns, and roses. Bushes stood both tall and short, birds nestled in the trees, and there was even a bunny or two getting chased away by the castle gardeners.

       Raven was sat on a rather large fountain in the center of the gardens, surrounded by foliage, vegetation, shrubs, hedges, you name it. While it may have been the centerpiece, it felt secluded and cozy due to the surrounding flora; It felt private. This was her favorite spot in the spring season. In summer it was the beach, and the rest of time she preferred being inside in her library. While she loved the library, it felt far too stuffy in the warmer months due to the heat and humidity. The fountain’s water splashed gently, just as birds sung their songs, sometimes even coming down to bathe in them.

       She was reading the large book she had borrowed off of Luna, now almost finished with it, and there were still 200 pages left! Despite it taking a month to get to this point, she considers her pace fast. It's been a nice distraction from the chaos going on around her, and helped her keep her mind off of Catrina. She, Luna, and Jacqueline have even stated thier own online book club!... Does it count as a club if there's only three?

       Raven looked up from the pages to the dark, cloudy sky. Moonlight illuminated the clouds, passing through them. Birds sang and flew past her view, wind blowing gently. She gazed up in admiration before placing a bookmark inside her book, closing it shut, and putting it into her bag. She walked through the gardens then back inside the castle, taking the route to her room.

       The castle was rather quiet in these warmer months, as most of everyone was outside. So of course Raven was startled when a sudden sound broke the silence: Catrina opening up her bedroom door, "Hey, I thought I heard footsteps!" She said.

       Raven jumped as her heart skipped a beat. She was lost in thought and Catrina wasn't exactly someone she was keen on talking to at the moment. "Oh, uh, hi? Do you... need me for something, or..."

        "Come here!" She said, tone more excited than usual, motioning the royal crow towards her. Raven took a breath and followed.

        Catrina's room was much like Raven's, except she had the ability to be a bit more liberal with her decorations. Strings and cat toys hung from the ceiling, there were platforms hanging onto her wall for her to jump on, her curtains were torn, and her bed was inside a cardboard box... that her other bed came shipped in.