Chapter 23

I walk downstairs and see Nate standing in the living room but his back is to me. "Nate" I say. He turns around and my bra is in his hand. "Why was your bra in the middle of the living room?" Oh no. I never picked it up from before. "I was uh- doing laundry.. It must have fallen out of the basket." I say. I hope he buys it. "That is total bull shit Lucy." "Nate-" "Who was it? Just tell me." Sammy arrives at the bottom of they steps, "Nate, hey." You can tell Sammy has been crying too. Sammy sees the bra in Nate's hand and his eyes widen. "It was fucking you, wasn't it Sammy?" Fuck fuck fuck. Nate runs over and jumps on Sammy. They fall to the ground and Nate starts punching Sammy in the face as Sammy tries to fight back. "Nate no!" I scream and I run over to try and pull Nate off of Sammy but I fail. Nate starts to cry and his punches get sloppy."How could you, Sammy? You're supposed to be my best friend. I love her." Nate stops punching and sits next to Sammy. "Lucy, why? Did he get you drunk? I need an explanation." I wipe my tears, "It's my fau-" "It's all on me. She was drunk and I took advantage of her. We didn't have sex. I promise. Don't be mad at her." "Sammy.." I say quietly. "Why Sammy? Why would you do that?" I can tell Sammy is holding in his tears. "I thought it was my only chance with a girl like her." We sit in silence.

"Why were you both crying before I got here and Lucy, why wouldn't you talk to Sammy? I heard him through the phone." Sammy and I look at each other. "Lucy was planning on coming to see you on Monday because she was upset over what happened and I wanted to talk to her about it. I'm so sorry Nate." "I don't buy it. But I can't handle hearing anything worse. I'm going for a drive. I'll be back in a few hours." Nate gets up and walks out.

"Sammy why did you do that?" "I'm not ruining your relationship more than I already have. I want you to be happy, and if that means taking full blame, then I do." I lean in and give Sammy a hug. He hugs me back and I put my face in his neck as I cry. "I'm so sorry Sammy." "For what?" "You deserve better than this. You shouldn't be in a situation like this." Lucy stop. The fact that I even had the chance to kiss you makes up for it all. But I'm the one who should be sorry. If things don't work out for you and Nate, I don't know what I'll do." "Sammy this isn't your fault. There's a reason for everything. Everything will work out." "I hope so." Sammy kisses my head and then goes upstairs.

When he returns he is in different clothes. "I'm going to the gym to get my mind off of things.. I'll be back in a bit." I decide I should call Matt and let him know what happened. "Matt?" "Luce, what's up?" "Nate came home." "Why? When? Come over." "Ok." I rush to my car and speed around the corner to Matt's house. I walk right in because ringing the doorbell is a waste of time. "I'm in my room!" Matt yells from upstairs. I run upstairs and sit on his bed. "Tell me everything." I take a deep breath, "we drove home and on the way Sammy asked me to stay here and end what's been going but then I mentioned that my feelings for him are mutual. He pleaded for me to be with him and have a future together and I got all freaked out so when we got home I ran and locked myself in the bathroom and he tried to talk to me through the door." I start to cry again, "Then Nate called and he heard Sammy talking and Nate told me to come downstairs where he was waiting to surprise me. But he had my bra in his hand which was in the middle of the floor from Sammy and he figured it all out. He flipped out and attacked Sammy and then started crying but Sammy wouldn't let me speak and took the whole blame so Nate stormed out. Now Nate is who knows where and Sammy went to the gym to get his mind off of things." Matt sits on the bed next to me and hugs me. "Lucy it'll be ok. I promise." "But what if it's not? What if Nate breaks up with me and makes me move out?" "Then you live with me." "Matthew I can't ask that of you..." "I don't care. You're my best friend and I love you and will not let you be alone." I know when he says 'I love you' he means it differently than I do when I say it to him but that's not important right now. My phone buzzes and I look to see a text from Nate. "He texted me." I open the message and it says 'where are you'. I respond 'at Matthew's' and he instantly responds 'come home baby.' "Nate wants me to come home.." "Then go, everything's going to be fine." "Thanks Matt. I really appreciate you, I hope you know that." I give him a hug and return downstairs to my car to drive home.

When I return home the lights are off and candles fill the whole downstairs. There are rose petals leading into the dining room where Nate is waiting for me. "Nate what's going on?" Nate smiles, "I'm not mad. We make mistakes. But I love you and I'm not giving up that easily." He gets up and walks over to me. Nate grabs my face and kisses me slowly. "We're gonna be ok baby girl, no matter what." We sit down and start to eat.

"Why did you leave New York? Just for me?" I ask. Nate nods. "Be honest." Nate sets down his silverware and takes a sip of wine, "they don't want to sign me." And to make matters worse he comes home to find out about me and Sammy. Great. "Nate I'm so sorry..." "It's ok Lucy," Nate grabs my hand, "I have you. And that's all I care about."