Chapter 24: Modern Warfare

Price's POV

The flight up into the Russian mountains was longer than expected, but I guessed that was because we all knew what was coming. The chopper touched down, and we stepped out into the bright sun. Farah and Alex were waiting, gearing up, and ready to assault Chimera's fortress. The marines would be here soon as well, and in total, the assault force would number around 24 against who knows how many of Chimera's elite troopers. It was a complete mismatch, but we didn't have a choice as our helicopter took off, so we decided to hold our position until reinforcements arrived. It was surprisingly warm for late February, but a thin layer of snow covered the mountain terrain. We all had a thin layer on to keep the chilly weather out, but despite the warmth of the sun, the hike up to the base would be difficult. Y/N, Ghost, and Soap stood close by as Gaz and Alex laughed and got caught up.

"So, Captain, this is it, huh?" Farah asked.

"I suppose it is. Are you sure you want to do this?"

"If this man is as dangerous as you say he is, I want to help stop him." She replied with determination.

"Right well, don't get yourself killed. Your soldiers need you." I reminded her.

Above the first of two helicopters was making its way down unloading a few soldiers. This transport was mainly for supplies, with the second being the main transport. Kate had managed to get an AC-130 too, but it was still a day or two away and wouldn't make it until the assault began. I had decided not to wait for it since we didn't know when Chimera would start his strike. The second helicopter emptied it of marines and took off, disappearing into the distance, leaving the task force alone. I ordered everyone to begin the long hike up into the mountains. Ghost and Soap were in the back, keeping watch, while Gaz, Farah, and Alex stuck to the middle. I had pulled Y/N aside so that we could talk in private since this mission would definitely be difficult for us all.

"I'm scared." Y/N broke the long silence.

"I know, kid, I am too."

"How long of a walk is it?" He asked, looking down at the ground.

"In a little over a day, we should be there by tomorrow evening."

"At least we can use the shadows as cover."

I could tell he was nervous about this mission, and he had every right to be. Chimera wouldn't hold back, and I could tell neither would he. Y/N still had the fresh knife wound, and Chimera had the stab wound in his thigh, so both would be slower than usual, but if I could, I would make sure they didn't have to face each other. Behind us, everybody had a mix of nervousness and excitement about them. Ghost and Soap seemed more on edge than usual but kept up their positive attitude for Y/N, who looked like he wanted to crawl under a rock and hide forever.

"You don't have to face him." I spoke as we walked further out of earshot from the rest of the group.

"I can't let Simon and Johnny be the ones to do it; Chimera feels like my responsibility."

"You're wounded."

"So is he." Y/N replied, shifting his rifle to the other hand.

"Does it hurt?"

"Very much so." He groaned as the arm pad rubbed against it.

"Maybe you should let me carry your rifle." I suggested.

"Dad I'm fine; it's fine."

The walk was exhausting, with multiple detours having to be made. Y/N was struggling more than the others, having a hard time pulling himself up rocks or just needing to shift his gun to get the weight off his bad arm. He eventually fell back with Soap and Ghost, who managed to get him to hand over his rifle about two hours later. Gaz jogged up, somewhat out of breath but still in high spirits.

"Hey cap!"

"Gaz."

"How's Y/N?" He asked, nodding toward the back.

"Nervous and on edge, but Ghost and Soap seem to be keeping his mind focused." I replied, looking back to see Ghost half-pulling Y/N up a rock by the vest. He didn't look happy to be picked up like a rag doll, but he just went with it.

"What about Chimera?" Gaz asked.

"If I can help it, I'll make sure Y/N doesn't have to face him again."

"Meaning?"

"Meaning I'll face him and kill him if I have to." I grunted climbing over a fallen tree.

"Bloody hell cap. Have you told Y/N that?" Gaz asked, jumping over.

"No. In a situation like this, there's no telling who will run into him first."

"What if I run into him?" Gaz asked nervously.

"You are with Farah, Alex, and me, so just stay close and let me worry about that."

"He's kind of scary."

"Who?" I asked, confused.

"Chimera. We all saw the fight between him and Y/N; it was hard to follow because they seemed evenly matched and I could barely keep up with their movements."

Y/N and Chimera had trained together for years, and the two had learned each other's attacks perfectly. In a fight between the two, they each played off their respective strengths, but now Y/N was wounded in an arm and wouldn't be able to swing as fast, while Chimera lost what speed he had. The fight on the transport has definitely been something to watch; for every punch Chimera landed, Y/N easily returned it. Chimera did have one massive advantage on Y/N, and that was that he was much larger than him and could use his physical strength to win. Chimera had always been a run in and ask questions later type of person and had an intimidating presence when facing the enemies we had faced. He might not be able to beat Ghost, but he could easily overwhelm Gaz, Farah, or Soap. I hoped that Ghost would stay close to Y/N, just in case their team found Chimera first and Ghost knew that. He would most likely keep the other captain within arm's reach at all times and would definitely attack Chimera if given the chance.

"If you see him, don't engage."

"Copy that."

The next four hours were spent struggling to get up more rocky cliff sides and up long hills. We stopped to catch our breath just as the sun began to lower in the sky. We had another hour of walking until we made camp for the night, but everyone was completely exhausted already. Y/N in particular was leaning heavily on Ghost for support and had removed his left shoulder pad and rolled up his sleeve. The wound was red and irritated, and Soap looked concerned. Ghost set Y/N down against a tree while Soap sat next to him and pulled out a medical kit. Y/N just told Soap to stop worrying, but Soap kept insisting on checking the wound with the marine medic. Ghost walked off to scout the path ahead with Alex and Gaz while the rest of us sat spread out.

"Johnny, for the last time, I'm okay. Stop worrying." Y/N groaned as Soap pulled out a clean rag.

"I can't help it!"

"Fine, but do you hav- SHIT!" Y/N yelled as Soap gently wiped away the sweat.

"Sorry!"

"God, give me a warning next time!" Y/N groaned as the medic stood up, saying he would be okay but telling him to try not to reopen the wound.

"Can I at least have my gun back?" Y/N asked as Soap pulled out a small safety pin from his pack and pinned his sleeve up so it wouldn't irritate the wound anymore.

"No.  Plus, Ghost has it; just stick it to your side arm."

"Fine." Y/N groaned as Soap placed a kiss on his cheek.

They looked happy together, and that made me smile. Y/N had suffered through everything, and here he was learning to love again. Soap and Ghost had been better with him than I had ever expected them to be, especially with all the passings and reveals. Ghost and the others returned a few minutes later, telling us that there was a small cave that we could use for the night. The group groaned but got up to get their gear together and prepare to hike up the long hill.

"Price. Can we talk?" Ghost asked.

"What's on your mind?"

"I won't let him face Chimera alone again." Ghost said.

"I know, he doesn't look great, but he still can hold his own."

"And Chimera?" Ghost asked.

"He took a knife to the leg; I doubt he's in great shape either. Just keep an eye on Y/N, especially in a place like Chimera's base; it is an easy place to get lost."

"Are you sure he'll be there?"

"Yes, he won't risk losing his entire facility and will defend it himself, especially since he knows Y/N is coming for him." I replied pushing a branch out of the way.

"I'll kill him if I get the chance."

"One of us will have to; hopefully it isn't Y/N."

"I'll make sure it isn't." Ghost said.

"Just watch each other's backs in there and keep yourself and Soap safe too."

"Yes sir."

The walk finally came to an end as we made our way down towards the small cave. The sun was setting, and the trees' shadows covered the ground below. Everyone began to spread out in their own little groups, with the marines settling into their own friend groups. Y/N immediately sat down again on the rock wall while Soap and Ghost went out to scout the area. Gaz sat next to him, starting a conversation, while Farah and I got a fire going. We were far enough away that any smoke wouldn't be noticeable to scouts or the main base, plus the night would get cold. Gaz and Y/N continued to quietly talk and ended up making some kind of pinky promise at the end of the conversation. Gaz stood and went to find a spot next to my stuff as Soap and Ghaot returned from scouting. There was nothing to be found, and everyone relaxed, with a few instantly getting comfortable and ready to drift into sleep. The sun continued to set, and the remaining people who hadn't fallen asleep gathered around the small fire. Farah and Alex huddled close together, while Y/N was sitting comfortably on Ghost.

"So anyone else nervous about tomorrow?" Gaz asked poking the fire.

"Yes." Farah replied.

"We all should be; this is a fight against our own. Hopefully we get it done quickly and stop him before he gets a chance to do anything."
Y/N answered, leaning into Ghost.

"So, captain, do you really think he will face you again?" Alex asked.

"I'm sure of it; he wouldn't pass up the opportunity. He might not want me to join him but he would take the opportunity to kill me too."

Ghost's eyes narrowed as he stared into the flames, tightening his grip on Y/N's waist, while Soap just grumbled some Scottish insult.

"We'll be with you if you need us." Gaz spoke up.

"Honestly, I'd rather just shoot him and be done with it." Y/N mumbled.

"This can't be easy for you, but I admire your willingness to fight." Farah smiled softer at Y/N.

"Thanks, it isn't easy, but I refuse to sit by and let him follow through with his plans."

I needed to talk to Y/N again, but I didn't want to pull him away from the group. The conversation had shifted to funny stories of the past, and everyone minus Ghost quietly laughed as Farah told one about Alex and how he had gotten stuck in a window. The fire had started to go out, so I took the opportunity.

"Hey kid, come help me gather a bit more firewood."

"Sure." He replied by getting off Ghost and following me off into the darkness.

There was a lot that needed to be said, but for now I just tried to enjoy the peace before the final battle tomorrow. Y/n followed closely behind in silence, picking up some lighter sticks while I gathered heavier ones.

"It's going to happen, won't it?" He whispered after what felt like forever.

"Yeah."

"God save us all..."