Chapter 31: The World Stays Clean

Warning: Sad Chapter?

Y/N's POV

"So what's up?"

"We need to talk, kid, about everything." Price said picking up a branch

"I figured, I guess I just didn't want to have this conversation." I replied.

"I know, but it's better we have it now in case something goes wrong tomorrow."

He was right to worry; a lot could go wrong tomorrow, but hopefully the raid on the base would be okay. The darkness of the night was calming, and I hadn't gotten much time alone with Price recently. It reminded me of the times he and I would just laugh and talk back when our original squad was around. Those days were still filled with all the stress of being a soldier, but we had found compassion in one another. Roach especially found ways to keep everyone happy, and despite not talking much, if at all, he always seemed interested in each of us. He and I had become best friends, and I often found myself ranting or saying something to him after a mission. The few times Chimera and I had arguments, I always made my way to Roach, who just sat and listened; it always helped.

"You're making me think this is goodbye or something." I spoke again.

"It could be."

"What?"

That caught me off guard.

"Not every mission goes well; we both know that, and I just want to be prepared, that's all. Chimera is dangerous, and he will most likely try to kill us all. If anything goes wrong, I just need to tell you some stuff." He sighed, turning back to me.

It was hard for me to see him aside from the small glow stick he had used. The dim light from the yellow liquid barely showed his face, but his expression was visible. He was worried, scared even and he had every right to be. I was scared too, more for the other than for myself since Price was right about the chimera. I wanted to keep Simon and Johnny away from the fight tomorrow, but there was no way that was going to happen.

"Okay. What's on your mind?" I asked.

"I'm sorry for not keeping in better contact with you after you left; I should have and I didn't. I get that you were hurting back then and you wanted to grow, but I still should have been there for you."

"Pri...Dad. That's not your fault; I didn't do a good job keeping in contact with you or Kate. The messages I did get to her were shit at best; I don't know, I guess I just found it hard."

"It's okay. It was comforting knowing you were still alive. Kate made sure to pass the messages on to me when she got them. I was proud of you, kid. Always have been."

"Thanks. Still I feel bad about it." I replied leaning against a tree.

"Don't. We all make mistakes. I also wanted to talk to you about Simon and John."

"Oh god, this better not be the safe sex talk." I laughed.