easy come easy go

𝖙𝖗𝖎𝖌𝖌𝖊𝖗/ 𝖈𝖔𝖓𝖙𝖊𝖓𝖙 𝖜𝖆𝖗𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖘:
cancer, death, chemo, anxiety/ panic attacks

𝖓𝖔𝖜 𝖕𝖑𝖆𝖞𝖎𝖓𝖌:
easy come easy go - imagine dragons
⇆ㅤ ||◁ㅤ❚❚ㅤ▷||ㅤ ↻

♩✧・゚♬✧・゚♪: *✧♩・゚:*

when george was first diagnosed with kidney cancer, his friends were right there for him, waiting to greet him after each new round of chemo.

then, though, it became too constant, and while george was bedbound at home, they had to focus on school. originally he'd be visited every day after school, but then even that became too much for them. he doesn't blame them, though, people leave and that's just the way life goes.

that's not to say he doesn't miss them, because of course he does. sometimes he stays up at night wondering if something he did led them to all gradually lose touch, or whether it was just because of how difficult the past year had been. regardless, he often finds himself wishing that they still came to visit.

though, they didn't all leave, because when everyone else returned to their lives, dream always stayed, right there by george's side.

the blond was there for every up and down, no matter how much it hurt him to watch.

when george lost his hair, dream shaved his head, when george was too tired, dream would take him out in the wheelchair to get some fresh air, when george felt like nothing, dream was his hero.

when they discovered george's bone cancer, dream started praying.

they thought the chemo had been going well, but the disease had spread, and it seemed like george wouldn't be getting the relief of recovery as soon as he thought.

when they started discussing an operation, dream had his first panic attack in years, and george, tired and weak, helped him through it.

when george's dad agreed to a non-resuscitate contract, the blond had been fuming. he couldn't see how the older man would ever allow that.

he'd gotten so angry over it, that george had to explain it to his best friend, talking about his quality of life if things went wrong, or if he lived but with cancer, and eventually dream had to accept it.

dream, sooner or later, apologised to george's dad, trying his hardest to understand that it was the right thing to do, no matter how hard it might be, and moved on.

when george started struggling to sleep, dream wrote him songs, singing him to sleep every night and staying by his side until he woke up again the next morning.

george didn't know when dream was sleeping.

when they decided not to operate, dream begged the world for a miracle whilst simultaneously cursing it for not even giving george a chance.

dream had wanted to take george outside, on a drive or such, just to give him a taste of the life he'd been missing out on for the past year, but the brit couldn't leave the hospital bed under any circumstances.

then dream started writing stories, depicting an ill boy's magical recovery and the adventures he went on with his best friend, and read every single one to george. george's dad said dream was in denial, george said he was trying to cope with his demons and keep his mind in place.

when they found out george had less than a week left, dream refused to leave the room for anything, unless it was george's family wanting time with their boy.

when george said to dream, voice quiet and weak, "i think it's tonight," dream had refused to cry, choosing instead to sit right at george's side and hold the brunette's hand, keeping him close and talking to him.

he told george stories, off the top of his head, about their future adventures, everything they would do together, how they'd grow old and live next door to one another and stay best friends until they're ninety.

when george died, dream was the only person by his side.

he'd left the room in tears, calling calmly for a nurse, who came immediately to record the time of death.

when the time came for george's funeral, dream realised, maybe a bit too late, that he'd loved george a lot more than he ever thought.

and, after that day, he spent the next week crying, finding no relief for his pain, realising he'd have no chance to make it right and really tell george what he meant to him

it took dream months afterwards of vising his friend's grave daily to really process everything that had happened.

while he'd originally thought that the universe had targeted george and, by association, him, he slowly found himself understanding that, really, this is just how life goes.

life hurts and kills and every day harbours some kind of pain, big or small, and just because they experienced so much at once, doesn't mean it would be like that forever.

so he turned down the sad music, laid down his pessimistic outlook, and lived the life that george never got the chance to, remembering the brunette through everything he did.

♩✧・゚♬✧・゚♪: *✧♩・゚:*

angst

congratulations!! you just read 817 words!

i love you so much

-kit