.+. ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1 .+.

.+. ESPRESSO'S POV .+.

It was 5:30 in the morning, I was in my lab looking around for my papers with the information I desperately needed to finish my research. While I was frantically searching for them, hoping I didn't lose them, Latte, my half sister, burst into my lab.

"ESPRESSO COOKIE!" She ran over to me. "What do you need, Latte?" I sighed. "Ess, you need to take a break from your research! You've spent countless days doing nothing but working all day relying on multiple cups of coffee and no sleep at all!" She sounded worried. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. "Latte, I told you, I don't-" I was interrupted by Latte pulling me out of my lab by my arm. "LATTE! LET ME GO!" I yelled, but she didn't listen.

I kicked and tried to pull out of her grip, but it was no use. "Ess, you need to relax more! Working all day with no sleep isn't good for you, big brother!" I sighed. She doesn't understand how important my research is. She always has everything easy for her anyway. I thought to myself. she dragged me all the way into a park that I had recognized.

"What are we doing here?!" I quietly shouted at her. She smiled and sat me down beside her in the field of grass. "I thought you might've liked to visit this place again. It's been years since you last came here." She stated. Oh right. I locked myself in my house for a long time and refused to come out after losing my childhood best friend.

...

"Essie!!" Butter giggled as he pounced onto me. He hugged me tightly. "Butter.. I missed you!" I said as I returned the hug. I felt his soft, slightly long, blonde hair blowing in the wind. He held both of my hands as we pulled away from the hug. "I missed you too!!" I loved spending time with Butter. He was my only friend. He never made fun of me like the other kids did, he cared for me as I cared for him. "Butter, promise me you'll never leave me... please.." I said to him. He looked at me in the eyes and said, "I promise, Essie, I'll never leave you." His voice soothed me, it took the stress off my mind.

...

I sighed while getting lost in thought. It's been 13 years since I've seen Butter. He promised that he'll never leave me, but one day, he was forced to leave me behind. I missed him and his beautiful face so much, but he never came back. I wonder if he still remembers me. I partly remember him. Though, I could only remember him as Butter, since he told me to call him that, otherwise, I had forgotten his full name.

...

"ESPRESSO!!" Butter called out to me as I watched him get dragged away by his father. He cried and cried but it was no use. I couldn't stop his father. I knew that he might harm me or Butter if I did. Tears rolled down my face as I reached out a hand to Butter. "Butter..." I whispered. He kicked and screamed until he was gone from my sight. I fell on my knees, sobbing my eyes out. Latte tried her best to comfort me but nothing would help me feel better. I just lost my one and only best friend who I cared a lot about... I didn't know what to do anymore.

...

As much as I missed him, it didn't affect me as much as it used to anymore. My only goal was to work on my research, hoping it would finally make my parents proud of me. They were never proud of anything I did, they only saw me as a disgrace. A mistake. They praised Latte for every little thing she did, but they only neglected me. I only ever wanted to prove to my parents how amazing I could be but nothing ever worked. I was sick of feeling that way. I wanted my parents to be proud of me, at least once.

I sighed and stood up. "I'm going to head back to my lab and resume my research now. Goodbye, Latte." Before Latte could speak, I quickly walked away. I wasn't watching where I was going and bumped into another cookie, causing my glasses to fly off my face and drop to the ground.

A leafy haired cookie let out a gasp and set down his watering can to pick up my glasses. "Espresso!! Oh, I'm so sorry about that! I hope you're okay!" Herb said, sounding worried. He handed me back my glasses. I scoff and take my glasses from him, putting it back onto my face. "I'm fine, thank you." I reply to him. "Of course! If you need anything, I'll be here!" He waved to me as I continued walking to my house.

I opened the door to my lab and closed it, making sure it was locked so that I could focus on my work. I continued to look through my book shelves and papers to find the exact paper I needed that had the list of ingredients. 30 minutes later, I gave up on looking for it. I sighed. "Maybe I should head to the café to get some coffee." I said to myself, walking towards the door. As soon as I opened the door, I saw Latte standing in front of it with another cookie behind her.

-------------------

Sorry if this was short!! Hope you liked it, considering it being my first fanfic<3

915 Words.