Chapter 38 - Ori

Ori weighed his options as he cursed himself repeatedly for not keeping an eye on all his surroundings. Rooky mistake.

"I mean no harm," he said to whoever was stood behind him. Did this person know Ori was gifted? His hands lifted slowly in a surrendering motion whilst calling upon his gift. He could easily flood the ground beneath them, but could he be sure it would take out the man? And if this person had a weapon, which he probably did, chances were that Ori could get hurt before getting out of the way.

"Why are you spying on this place?" The man's voice was deep and cold with a strong Eslean accent.

Valid question and Ori decided he might as well be honest about it.

"I was following my teacher."

"Who is your teacher?"

"Scholar Jovair Aebond from Aethorin."

Silence, yet Ori didn't dare move. His hands were still up, but he kept his gift simmering just beneath the surface of his skin, ready to strike if needed.

"Turn around."

Ori turned slowly; hands remaining raised. The man in front of him was older, looked to be perhaps in his late-thirties, with unruly brown hair that curled below his ears and well-worn green tunic and trousers. His face was set in a scowl and in his hands were a raised bow with a nocked arrow pointing straight at Ori. The archer searched Ori with his eyes, checking for any weapons he might have on him. There was a small dagger in his belt, but otherwise Ori didn't carry weapons, at least not inside the palace walls and he hadn't thought to bring anything else when he had followed Aebond. He'd rely on his gift if it came down to it.

"Which one of them are you?" The man asked and Ori blinked.

"What do you mean?"

"Fire or water?"

If this man was working for Luka, then of course he'd know Ori was one of the Howlers. Also, with his blonde hair and fair skin he stood out from the crowd.

"Water. My name is Ori Wyerkant. I came with the Aethorin delegation."

The man cocked his head to the right in the direction of the cottage. "Move. That way. Don't try anything with your gift or I will shoot."

Ori began walking towards the cottage. He could barely hear the man following him, proving that he was stealthy even on the crunchy jungle floor. Ori's footsteps sounded like thunderclaps on the jungle floor and he made a mental note to practice stealth if he made it home alive.

As they moved closer to the cottage, the small door opened, and Ori halted in his steps. Two men emerged, dressed similar to the archer behind him, but carrying swords strapped to their belts. Their eyes narrowed in unison as they spotted Ori, but did nothing else but move aside, allowing free passage into the cottage. Ori stepped over the threshold and his eyes began adjusting to the dimmer light of the cottage and his eyes searched the place immediately. To his left was a small room, the door ajar and he could spot a wash basin and the privy. The hallway opened up into a bigger, circular room with more doors to the right that no doubt would lead to bedrooms, but Ori's eyes were focused on the scene in front of him. A round table towards the back of the room with four comfortable looking armchairs surrounding it, three of them currently occupied by people. Ori spotted his teacher at once, leaned back in his chair as if with no worry in the world. Clearly he was not fearing for his life. An elderly woman sat next to him; a woven blanket draped over her lower body. Her hair was dark, but filled with grey streaks, but her eyes were alert and watchful. A raven was perched on the back of her chair, its head cocked towards Ori as it watched the newcomer. The third person was a younger man, casually leaned back in his chair as a ginger tomcat napped at his feet. He watched Ori with something akin to amusement in his eyes. He was darkhaired and handsome, and from Kianna's description of her encounter with the lost heir there was no question that the person sitting opposite Scholar Aebond was Luka Victari.