CHAPTER 3

When we finally arrived it was dark & had begun raining.

The taxi driver refused to drive any further saying he had to get home before the storm began.

We had to walk another two miles before we were actually there.

We kept joking but stopped when we heard a growl in the distance. It was a monster for sure.

Grover said the words I wished he hadn't. "Nora, I need you to go & get Percy safely to-"

"No! I'm not leaving you here to fight that thing alone." I say quickly cutting him off. The growling a lot closer now.

He offered me a sad smile & said. "Nora, listen...I'm a protector. I have a chance to do what I couldn't all those years ago, I don't want to be making the same mistake twice."

The thought of losing him was something I couldn't even imagine. I was about to protest when it happened.

I sensed something behind me but before I could react Grover pushed me out of the way & got rammed head first into a tree.

He groaned & blood glistened on his scalp. I rushed towards him but the beast stopped me in my tracks. I froze as it saw it.

It was a minotaur. Sure, out of all the monsters it HAD to be this one. I knew I had great luck (note the sarcasm).

Anger took over me, cause buddy no one messes with my best friend & gets away with it.

I charged the beast & managed to stab it in the eye but not before it jabbed its horn into my side.

I cried out in pain & crumpled to the ground in pain.

"Nora! No..." I heard Grover’s voice which sounded distant as darkness threatened to cloud my vision.

Out the corner of my eye, I saw Grover trying to get the minotaur's attention.

I shook my head at him gesturing for him to run but he just smiled & showed me his pinky, to remind me about the promise ring he'd given...

(FLASHBACK - 3 Years Ago)

"Grover, stop! that tickles...hahaha, please....noooo...somebody save me!!" I said laughing uncontrollably.

He tickled me as punishment for laughing at his reed pipes performance, which honestly sounded like the concert of a dying walrus.

I managed to break free from his grip & run away. As I ran I didn't notice a sharp rock. I stepped on it & managed to get a good sized cut on my foot.

I fell to the ground in tears. Grover quickly came up to me, worry etched on his face.

After he bandaged my foot, he wrapped me in a hug. "Your safe, don't worry."

"But what if I'm in real danger?"

"Well..I'll be there to save you again." He said.

"Really?" I asked him surprised.

"Of course Nora always & forever."

"You promise?" I asked.

"Yeah, I promise." He replies & puts a small silver ring on my little finger. It had the design of an infinity symbol.

I quickly crushed him into a bear hug.

"You're the bestest best friend Grover, & I'll always save you too." I say happily.

He just smiled at me in response....

(END OF FLASHBACK)

I ran as fast as I could. Tears welled up in my eyes because of the pain of my wound & because of guilt...I didn't want to believe it..how could I just leave him like that??