CHAPTER 6 (Part-2)

(Percy's POV)

As we were walking a husky voice yelled.

"Well! A newbie!"

The girl from the ugly red cabin was walking toward us. She had three girls behind her, big, ugly & mean looking, with camo jackets.

"Clarisse," Nora sighed, "can we not do this?"

"Sure, Nora," the big girl said. "I'll be taking care of you on Friday night."

"Erre es korakas!" Nora said, which I had understood was Greek for ‘Go to the crows!’ though I had a feeling it was a worse curse than it sounded. "You don’t stand a chance."

"We’ll pulverize you," Clarisse said, but her eye twitched. Perhaps she wasn’t sure she could follow through on the threat.

She turned to me. "Who’s this little runt?"

"Percy," Nora said, "meet Clarisse, Daughter of Ares."

I blinked. "Like….the war god?"

Clarisse said. "You got a problem with that?"

"No," I said. "It explains the bad smell."

"We got a ceremony for newbies, Prissy."

"Percy."

"Whatever. Come on, I’ll show you."

"Clarisse-" Nora tried to say.

"Stay out of it, lightning girl."

Nora looked angry, but she did stay out of it, & I didn’t really want her help. I was the new kid, so I had to earn my own rep.

I gave Nora my minotaur horn & got ready to fight, but before I knew it, Clarisse had me by the neck & dragged me toward a cinder block building that I knew was the bathroom.

After the fight ended Nora & I left the bathroom. Outside Clarisse & her friends were lying in the mud. Some campers had gathered. Clarisse’s hair was flat across her face, her jacket was soaked &  smelled like sewage. She gave a look of pure hate.

"You're dead, new boy. You're totally dead."

Before I could say anything Nora stood in front of me.

"Clarisse, enough!" She radiated power. Her eyes glowed & sparks flickered off her body.

Clarisse looked at her with wide eyes & her friends dragged her back to cabin five.

"Remind me to never make you mad." I said.

Nora laughed, "Relax, Perce I won't hurt you."

She seemed lost in thought. "What're you thinking about?" I asked her.

"I’m thinking," she said, "that I want you on my team for capture the flag..."

(Ella's POV)

Word of the bathroom incident spread. Wherever we went, campers pointed at Percy & murmured something about toilet water. Or they were staring at me after I almost had a power outburst.

It happens when people I care about are in trouble. I showed Percy a few more places: the forge, the arts-and-crafts room & the climbing wall, which consisted of two walls that shook violently, dropped boulders, spray lava, & clash together if you didn’t get to the top fast enough. It was my favourite.

Finally we returned to the canoeing lake, where the trail led back to the cabins.

"I’ve got training to do," I said. "but dinner’s at seven-thirty. Just follow your cabin to the mess hall okay.." I start walking away.

"Nora, I’m sorry." Percy grabbed my wrist.

"For what?" I asked him.

"That was my fault." he said.

"You just defended yourself. It's okay. But you need to talk to the Oracle." I said.

"Who?"

"Not who. What. The Oracle. I’ll ask Chiron."

"That’s it. I want to go home now." he said.

I frowned. "Don’t you get it, Percy? You are home. This is the only safe place for us."

"You mean, mentally disturbed kids?"

"I mean not human. Not fully human, anyway, Half-human."

"Half-human and half-what?" he asked.

"I think you know." I replied.

"God," he said after a while. "Half-god."

I nodded. "Your dad's not dead, Perce. He’s one of the Olympians."

"That’s….crazy."

"Is it? What’s the most common thing gods did in the old stories? They went around falling in love with humans having kids with them. Do you think they’ve changed their habits in the last few millennia?"

"But if all the kids here are half-gods-"

"Demigods," I said. "That’s the term we use. Or half-bloods."

"Then who’s your dad?"

"Zeus, Lord of the sky & lightning."

"And my dad?"

"Undetermined," I said, "like I told you before. Nobody knows."

"Except my mother. She knew."

"Maybe....Gods don’t always reveal their identities."

"My dad would have. He loved her."

"Maybe he’ll send a sign. That’s the only way to know for sure: your father has to send you a sign claiming you as his son."

Vote, comment & share.
Take care my lovely readers.❤
Alice signing off.
XOXO.