CHAPTER 32

(Ella's POV)

He was the fifth god I’d met. He was ten feet tall, dressed in black silk robes & a crown of braided gold. His skin was albino white, his hair shoulder-length & jet black. He sat on a throne of human bones, lithe, graceful, & dangerous as a panther. He resembled pictures of Hitler, Napoleon, or terrorists. His eyes had an evil charisma.

“You're brave to come here, Son of Poseidon,” he said. “After what you have done, very brave indeed. Or perhaps you are foolish.”

Percy steps forward & says. “Lord & Uncle, I come with two requests.”

Hades raised an eyebrow & sat forward in his throne, shadowy faces appeared in the folds of his black robes, faces of trapped souls from the Fields of Punishment.

“Only two requests?” Hades said. “Arrogant child. As if you haven't taken enough. Speak. It amuses me not to strike you dead yet.”

I cleared my throat when Percy didn't reply & prodded my finger on his back.

“Lord Hades,” he said. “Look, there can’t be a war. It would be..bad. Return the bolt to me. Please, let me carry it to Olympus.”

Hades’s eyes grew dangerously bright. “You dare keep this up, after what you've done?”

Percy glanced back at us, confused.

“Um...Uncle,” he said. “You keep saying ‘after what you’ve done.’ What exactly have I done?”

The room shook with a tremor so strong, they probably felt it up in Los Angeles. Debris fell from the ceiling. Doors burst open along the walls, & skeletal warriors came in, hundreds of them. They lined room, blocking the exits.

Hades said, “You think I want war, godling?”

I wanted to say, Well, these guys don’t look like peace activists. But I thought that might be a dangerous answer.

“You're the Lord of the Dead,” Percy said, “A war will expand your kingdom, right?”

“A typical thing for my brothers to say! Do you think I need more subjects? Did you not see the sprawl of the Asphodel Fields?”

“Well…”

“Have you any idea how much my kingdom has swollen this past century. More security ghouls,” he moaned. “Traffic at the pavilion. Double overtime for the staff. I used to be rich, Percy Jackson. I control all precious metals under the earth. But my expenses!”

“Charon wants a pay raise,” he blurted. When he said it, I wished I could sew his mouth up.

“Don’t get me started on Charon!” Hades yelled. “He’s impossible since he discovered Italian suits! Problems everywhere. The commute from the palace to the gates drives me insane! No, godling. I need no help in getting subjects! I didn't ask for this war.”

“But you took Zeus’s master bolt.” he said.

“Lies!” Hades rose, to the height of a football goalpost. “Your father may fool Zeus, boy, but I'm not stupid. I see his plan.”

“His plan?” Percy asked.

“You were the thief on the winter solstice,” he said. “He directed you into the throne room, You took the master bolt & my helm. Hadn't I sent my Fury at Yancy Academy, Poseidon may have hidden his scheme to start a war. But now you'll be exposed as Poseidon’s thief, & I'll have my helm back!”

“But...” I said. "Uncle, your helm of darkness is missing, too?” he noticed me & his look suddenly softened.

“Nora! It's nice to see you. You've grown prettier." I smiled. "Thank you, uncle."