CHAPTER 4 (Part-2)

(Percy's POV)

I remember feeling like I was being crushed, fried, & hosed down all at the same time. I peeled my forehead off the back of the driver’s seat & said, "Ow."

"Percy!" my mom shouted.

"I’m okay.." I mumbled.

I tried to shake off the daze. I wasn’t dead. The car hadn’t really exploded. We’d swerved into a ditch.

Our driver’s-side doors were wedged in the mud. The roof had cracked open & rain was pouring in.

Lightning.

We’d been blasted right off the road.

Next to me in the back was a motionless body. "Ella!"

She was slumped over, blood trickling from the side of her mouth. I shook her shoulder in an attempt to wake her up.

Then she groaned, "Ow, my head..." I felt relieved & I knew she was okay.

"Percy, we have to..." But she faltered mid-sentence looking past me.

I followed her gaze, looking back through the mud-spattered rear windshield, I saw a silhouette of a football player. He seemed to be holding a blanket over his head. His top half was bulky & fuzzy. His upraised hands looked like pointy horns.

I swallowed hard. "Who is-"

"Percy," my mom said, dead serious. "Get out. Now."

Her driver’s-side door was jammed shut in the mud. I tried mine. Stuck too.

"Climb out the passenger’s side!" my mom said. "Percy you have to run. See that tree?"

"What?"

A flash of lightning, & through the hole in the roof I saw the tree: a huge, Christmas tree like pine at the crest of the nearest hill.

"That’s the property line," my mom said.

"Go over that hill, you’ll see a farm house down in the valley. Run & yell for help. Whatever happens, don’t stop. Keep going until you reach the door."

"Mom, you’re coming too." Her face was pale, her eyes as sad as when she looked out at the ocean.

"Oww!" Ella groaned, a little louder.

The man with the blanket on his head kept coming toward us, making grunting noises.

As he got closer, I realized he wasn't holding a blanket over his head, because his huge meaty hands, swung at his sides. There was no blanket. Meaning the bulky, fuzzy mass was his head. And the points...which looked like horns, were horns...

"He doesn’t want me," my mom said. "He wants you two. Besides, I can’t cross the property line."

"But…"

"We don’t have time, Percy. Go. Please."

Then I got mad, mad at my mother, at Ella, at the thing with horns that was lumbering toward us slowly & deliberately, like a bull.

I climbed across Ella & pushed the door open into the rain. "We’re going together. Come on, Mom." I said.

"I told you-"

"Mom! I'm not leaving you. Help me with Ella."

I scrambled out, lifting Ella out from the car. Together, we draped her arms over our shoulders & started climbing uphill.

Glancing back, I got a clear look at the monster. He was seven feet tall, easy. His arms & legs like something from a cover of Muscle Man magazine-biceps, triceps & a bunch of other ‘ceps, stuffed like baseballs under vein-webbed skin. He had no clothes on except white underwear, & I mean bright white Fruit of the Looms underwear. Coarse hair started at his belly button & got thicker up to his shoulders. He had a snout long as my arm, snotty nostrils with a brass ring, cruel eyes, & enormous black & white horns with points you can't get in an electric sharpener.

I recognized the monster. He was in one of the first stories Mr. Brunner told us. He's the one who attacked Ella.

(Ella's POV)

I sat up with a groan. My head was throbbing in pain & I was near Thalia's pine tree?

Blood had soaked through the bandages that were covering my wound. I looked up & saw a battle raging in front of me. It was Percy...fighting the minotaur, the same one who had been after me. But wait...where was Sally?

Percy backed himself up against a tree. What was he thinking?? I decided to try & help him. I quickly summoned a lightning strike straight onto the minotaur which was enough to faze it.

Percy jumped on it's back & snapped off its horn. He got thrown off but had managed to stab it in the ribs & the minotaur turned to dust, leaving nothing but his broken horn, as a spoil of war, which was still in Percy's hand.

He came over to me, a worried look crossing his face at the sight of my wound. "Oh no...you're bleeding!"

"I'm fine, Perce. Don't worry." I said weakly.

He helped me up to my feet & we began walking as we held on to each other & staggered down into the valley.

We barely made it to the Big house before I collapsed & passed out...

Not a very long chapter..🫠

Anywaysss..hope u guys liked it!

Until next time...👋🏻

Vote, comment & share.
Take care my lovely readers.❤
Alice signing off.
XOXO.