CHAPTER 21

(Percy's POV)

Annabeth, Nora & Grover came back laughing, & stop when they see my face.

Nora's smile faded. "What happened, Percy? What did Luke say?"

"Not much," I lie. She gave me a knowing look.

"Come on, let’s find some dinner." I said.

Few minutes later, we sat in a diner booth. All around, families ate burgers & drank sodas.

Finally the waitress came over. She raised her eyebrow skeptically. "Well?"

I said, "We, um, want to order dinner."

"You kids have money to pay for it?"

Grover’s lower lip quivered. I was afraid he would start bleating, or start eating the linoleum. Annabeth & Nora looked ready to pass out from hunger. I was trying to think up a sob story, when a rumble shook the building; a motorcycle the size of a baby elephant pulled up to the curb.

All conversations stopped. The motorcycle’s headlight glared red. Its gas tank had flames painted on it, a shotgun holster riveted to either side, with shotguns. The seat was leather-but leather that looked like...well, Caucasian human skin.

The biker guy would’ve made pro wrestlers run for Mama. He was dressed in a red muscle shirt, black jeans & a black leather duster, with a hunting knife strapped to his thigh. He wore red shades, & had the cruelest face I’d ever seen- handsome, I guess, but wicked-with an oily black crew cut & his cheeks were scarred from many fights. The weird thing, I felt like I’d seen his face somewhere before.

As he walked into the diner, a hot, dry wind blew through the place. All the people rose, as if they were hypnotized, but he waved his hand dismissively & they sat down. Everyone went back to their conversations.

The waitress blinked, as if someone pressed the rewind button on her brain. She asked again, "You kids have money to pay for it?"

The biker said, "It’s on me." He slid into our booth, which was way too small for him, & crowded Nora against the window.

"Hey, little sis! You've grown prettier since the last time I saw you." He said to Nora.

"Thank you." She said quietly.

Why was he talking to her so kindly? He looks at the waitress, "Are you still here?"

He pointed at her, & she stiffened. She turned as if she was spun around, & went to the kitchen. The biker looks at me. I couldn’t see his eyes behind the shades, but I felt-anger, resentment, bitterness. I wanted to pick a fight with someone. Who did he think he was? He gave me a wicked grin.

"So you're old Seaweed’s kid, huh?"

"What's it to you?"

Nora gave me a warning look. "Percy, this is-"

"S’okay, little sis" he said. "I don’t mind a little attitude. Long as he remembers who’s the boss. You know who I am, little cousin?"

Then it struck me why he looked familiar. He had the same vicious sneer as some kids at Camp Half-Blood, the ones from cabin five.

"You’re Clarisse’s dad, Ares, god of war."

Ares took off his shades. Where his eyes should’ve been, there was fire, empty sockets glowed with small nuclear explosions.

"That’s right. I heard you broke her spear."

"She was asking for it."

"Probably. That’s cool. I don’t fight my kids' fights, you know? I heard you were in town. I got a little proposition for you."

The waitress came back with trays of cheeseburgers, fries & chocolate shakes. Ares handed her few gold drachmas. She looked at the coins. "But, these aren’t…"

Ares pulled out his huge knife & started to clean his fingernails. "Problem, sweetheart?"

The waitress swallowed, then left with it.

"You can’t do that," I told Ares. "You can’t just threaten people with a knife."

Ares laughs. "You kidding? I love this place. Don’t you carry a weapon, punk? Dangerous world out there. I need you to do me a favor."

"What favor could I do for a god?"

"Something a god doesn’t have time to do. It’s nothing much. I was on a little...date with my girlfriend, we got interrupted. I left my shield behind. I want you to fetch it for me."

"Why don't you go back and get it yourself?"

The fire in his eyes glowed a little hotter.

"Why don't I turn you to a prairie dog & run you over with my Harley? Cause I don't feel like it. A God is giving a chance to prove yourself, Percy Jackson. Will you prove yourself? Or you fight when there’s a river to dive into, so your daddy can protect you."

I wanted to punch him. Ares's power caused my anger. He’d love it if I attacked.

"We're not interested," I said. "We already have a quest."

Ares’s eyes made me see things I didn’t want to-blood, smoke & corpses on the battlefield.

"I know about your quest, punk. I’m trying to give you the benefit of the doubt."

"Thanks." I grumbled.

"Hey, I'm a generous guy. Just do my little job, & I'll help you on your way. I'll arrange a ride west for you & your friends."

"We're doing fine on our own."

"Yeah, right. No money. No wheels. Help me out, maybe I’ll tell you what you need. The park is a mile west on Delancy. You can't miss it. Look for the Tunnel of Love ride."

"What interrupted your date?" I asked. "Something scare you off?"

Ares bared his teeth. I’d seen his look before on Clarisse. There was something about it, almost like he was nervous.

"You're lucky you met me, punk, & not the other Olympians. They aren't forgiving of rudeness like me. I’ll meet you back here. Don't disappoint me."

After that I must've fainted, or fallen asleep. When I opened my eyes, Ares was gone. I thought the conversation was a dream, but Nora, Annabeth & Grover’s expression told me otherwise.

"Not good," Grover said. "Ares sought you out, Percy. This is not good."

I stared out the window. The motorcycle was gone. Now that he left, so did my anger. I realize Ares loved messing with people’s emotions & ability to think.

"It's probably a trick," I said. “Forget Ares. Let's just go."

“We can't.” Nora said.

"Look, I hate Ares as much as anybody, but he wasn’t kidding about making you rodent." Annabeth adds

"Why does he need us?"

"Maybe it requires brains." Annabeth said. "Ares has strength, but even strength has to bow to wisdom sometimes."

"But this park...he acted almost scared. What would make a war god run away like that?"

Nora said. "I guess we're gonna find out."

Vote, comment & share.
Take care my lovely readers.❤
Alice signing off.
XOXO.