CHAPTER 6 (Part-1)

(Percy's POV)

Nora was playing the guitar outside cabin eleven. When we reached her, she stopped & looked away from me. I guess she was still thinking about my mom.

"Nora," Chiron said, "I have masters' archery at noon. Can you take Percy from here?"

"Of course, Chiron."

"Cabin eleven," Chiron told me, gesturing to the doorway. "Make yourself at home."

Inside, it was packed with people, both boys and girls, way more than the number of bunk beds. Sleeping bags were spread all over on the floor. It looked like a gym where the Red Cross had set up an evacuation center.

Chiron didn't go in. The door was too low for him. But when the campers saw him they all stood & bowed respectfully.

"Well, then," Chiron said. "Good luck, Percy. I'll see you at dinner."

He galloped away toward the archery range. I stood in the doorway, looking at them. They weren't bowing anymore. They were staring at me. This was awkward...

(Elle's POV)

I enter the cabin, but Percy stood at the doorway.

"Hey guys!" I called everyone. "Hey Ella!" They replied back.

They stared at Percy. I knew how he felt in a new place. I gestured for him to come inside.

He tripped coming in the door but I grabbed his hand. There were some snickers from the campers, but none of them said anything.

"Thanks." He said, "No problem." I replied.

I announced, "Percy, meet cabin eleven."

"Regular or undetermined?" Connor asked.

"Undetermined." Everybody groaned.

"Now, campers. That's why we're here. Hey Nora!" Luke said greeting me with a hug.

"Welcome, Percy. You can have that spot on the floor, right over there." He continued.

"This is Luke," I said glancing over at Luke to see him blushing. Percy was looking at him with a glare. He looked almost...jealous?

"He's your counselor for now." I said.

"For now?" Percy asked still glaring at Luke.

"You're undetermined," I explained. "They don't know what cabin to put you in."

"Cabin eleven takes all newcomers & visitors. Naturally, we would. Hermes, is the god of travelers." Luke said.

"How long will I be here?" Percy asked.

"Good question," Luke said. "Until you're determined."

"How long will that take?" The campers all laughed.

"Come on," I said. "I'll show you the volleyball court."

"I've already seen it." He protests.

I gave him a look & grabbef his hand, dragging him outside. We could hear the kids of cabin eleven laughing behind us.

When we were a few feet away, he asked.

"Are we still friends?" I stopped & looked at him. "I mean," he continued, "it's just that...I don't want to lose you." He said blushing.

"Of course. If you want to be that is. I'm sorry I acted like an idiot earlier..."

He just wrapped me in a hug. We stood there for about five minutes. We both pulled away reluctantly & decided to continue the tour.

"Look, if the thing I fought really was the Minotaur, the same one in the stories..."

"Yeah?"

"Then there's only one." he said.

"Yeah."

"And he died, a gazillion years ago, right? Theseus killed him in the labyrinth. So...."

"Monsters don't die, Percy. They can be killed. But they don't die." I explained.

"Oh, thanks. That clears it up." He said

"They have no souls, like you and me. You can dispel them for a while, a whole lifetime if you're lucky. Eventually, they'll re-form."

"You mean if I killed one, accidentally, with a sword-" he started.

"The Fur...I mean, Mrs.Dodds. She's still out there. You've just made her really mad."

"You almost called her something. A Fury?"

"You shouldn't call them by name, even here. We call them the Kindly Ones, if we have to speak of them at all." I explained.

"Look, is there anything we can say without it thundering? Why do I have to stay in cabin eleven, anyway? Why is everyone so crowded together? There are plenty of empty bunks right over there right?" He pointed to the first cabins, & I paled.

"You don't just choose a cabin, Percy. It depends on who your parent is." I said.

I stared at him, waiting for him to get it.

"You've met my mom." He said. "She works at a candy store in Grand Central Station. At least, she used to." I held his hand.

"I'm sorry, but, I'm talking about your dad."

"He's dead. I never knew him." he said.

I sighed, "Your father's not dead, Percy."

"How can you say that? You know him?"

"Of course not." I said.

"Then how can you say-"

"Because I know you. I wouldn't have brought you here if you weren't one of us." I said.

"But you don't know anything about me."

"No?" I raised an eyebrow. "I bet you moved around from school to school. I bet you were kicked out of a lot of them."

"How-"

"Diagnosed with dyslexia, ADHD, too."

He looked embarrassed. "What's that got to do with anything?"

"The letters float off pages when you read, right? That's cause your mind is hard wired for ancient Greek. ADHD- you're impulsive, can't sit still in a class. That's your battle- field reflexes. In a real fight, they keep you alive. As for attention problems, that's cause you see too much, not too little. Your senses are better than a regular mortal's. The teachers want you medicated cause they don't want you to see them as monsters." I said.

"You sound like...you went through the same thing?" He asked.

"I did..also if you weren't like us, you couldn't have survived the ambrosia & nectar."

"Ambrosia & nectar."

"The food & drink you're given to feel better. It would kill a normal kid, turn your blood to fire, your bones to sand & you'd be dead. Face it. You're a half-blood."

Vote, comment & share.
Take care my lovely readers.❤
Alice signing off.
XOXO.