CHAPTER 15

(Ella's POV)

Traffic slowed us down in Queens. By the time we got to Manhattan it was sunset and starting to rain. Argus dropped us at the Greyhound Station on the Upper East Side.

Argus unloaded our bags & gave us the bus tickets. We thanked him & he drove away.

We got bored waiting for the bus & decided to play Hacky Sack with one of Grover’s apple. Annabeth was incredible. She bounced the apple off her knee, her elbow, her head &
shoulder. I wasn’t so bad myself.

The game ended when I tossed the apple to Percy who tossed it toward Grover but was too close to his mouth. In one mega goat bite, our Hacky Sack disappeared-core, stem, and all.

Grover blushed. He tried to apologize, but the three of us were too busy cracking up.

Finally the bus came. As we stood in line to board, Grover started looking around, sniffing the air like he smelled his favorite delicacy-enchiladas.

"What is it?" I asked him.

"I don’t know," he said tensely. "Maybe it’s nothing." But I could tell it wasn’t nothing.

I was relieved when we got on board & found seats together in the back of the bus. We stowed our bags. Annabeth kept slapping her Yankees cap against her thigh.

As the last passengers got on, I clamped my hand onto Percy's knee. "Guys!” I said.

An old lady had boarded the bus. She wore a crumpled velvet dress, lace gloves, & a shapeless orange-hat that hid her face, & carried a big paisley purse. When she tilted her head up, her black eyes glittered. Behind her came two more old ladies: one in a green hat, one in a purple hat. The furies..oh gods..

"She didn’t stay dead long," Percy said, "You said they could be dispelled for a lifetime."

"I said if you’re lucky," I said. "You’re obviously not."

"All three of them," Grover whimpered. "Di immortales!"

"It’s okay," Annie said, thinking hard. "The Furies, worst monsters from the Underworld. No problem. We’ll slip out the windows."

"They don’t open," I said.

"A back exit?" she suggested.

Even if there was, it wouldn’t help. By now, we were on Ninth Avenue, headed for the Lincoln Tunnel.

"They won’t attack with witnesses around," Percy said. "Will they?"

"Mortal eyes aren't good," Annie said. "Their brains grasp what they see through the Mist."

"They’ll see three old ladies killing us, won’t they?" he asked.

I thought about it. "Hard to say. But we can’t count on them for help..."

We hit the Lincoln Tunnel, & the bus went dark except for the running lights down the aisle. It was eerily quiet without the rain.

The first one got up. In a flat voice, as if she rehearsed it, she announced to the whole bus.

"I need to use the rest-room."

"So do I," said the second & third sister.

They all started coming down the aisle.

"I’ve got this," I said. “Percy, start walking to the door."

"What?! That's your plan?" He asked.

"You’re the one they want. I can make you invisible, go up the aisle. Let them pass. Maybe you can get to the front & get away."

"But you guys-"

"There’s a chance they won't notice us," I said. "Trust me."

"I can’t just leave you." he said looking at me.

"Don’t worry about us," Grover said. "Go!" I nodded at him to go.

He started creeping up the aisle. I made him invisible. He went up ten rows, & ducked into an empty seat just as the Furies walked past.

She stopped, sniffing, & looked straight at him. My heart pounded. Apparently, she didn’t see anything. They kept going. They suddenly surrounded Grover, Annabeth & I, lashing their whips: "Where is it? Where?"

The other people on the bus were screaming, cowering in their seats.

"He’s not here!" Annie yelled. "He’s gone!"

The Furies raised their whips. Annie drew her knife. Grover grabbed a tin can, ready to throw. I drew my bow.

Suddenly, we got thrown to one side of the bus. I got thrown against a window & I heard a sickening crack which was my ribs breaking.

Grover landed on top of me. As I tried getting up a glass shard cut my palm.

The emergency brakes were hit making the bus spin a full circle on the wet asphalt, & crash into the trees. The emergency lights came on. The door flew open. The bus driver was the first one out, the passengers yelled as they stampeded after him.

"Hey!" Percy yelled. Why hadn't he left?
He pulled out his ballpoint pen & uncapped it. It became a shimmering, bronze, double edged sword about three feet long.

He sliced two of them. I couldn't just sit around doing nothing. I jumped on the fury's back, she struggled. Grover & Annie snatch her whip.

They managed to tie her up with it. I get off & roll aside, my vision blurry.

"Get out!" Annabeth yelled. "Now!" We made it outside & I stumbled, but Percy caught me.

We found the other passengers wandering in a daze, arguing with the driver, or running around in circles yelling, “We’re going to die!”

"Our bags!" Grover realized. "We left our-"

BOOOOOM!

The windows of the bus exploded as the passengers ran. Lightning shredded a huge crater in the roof, but an angry wail from inside told me the fury wasn't dead.

"Run!" Annie said. "She’s calling for help! We have to get out of here!"

We plunged into the woods as the rain poured down, the bus in flames behind us, & nothing but darkness ahead.

Phew...3 chapters in a day.😀

Vote, comment & share.
Take care my lovely readers.❤
Alice signing off.
XOXO.