CHAPTER 11

(Ella's POV)

Chiron hammered his hoof on the marble to get our attention.

"Heroes!" he said. "You know the rules. The creek is the boundary line. All magic items are allowed. The banner must be prominently displayed, & have no more than two guards. Prisoners may be disarmed, not be bound or gagged. No killing or maiming. I will serve as referee & medic. Arm yourselves!"

He spread his hands, & the tables were covered with equipment: helmets, bronze swords, spears, oxhide shields coated in metal.

"Whoa," Percy said. "We’re really supposed to use these?"

"Unless you wanna get skewered by Clarrise. Here-Chiron thought these would fit you."

Our helmets, like all the helmets on Athena’s side, had a blue horsehair plume on top. Ares & their allies had red plumes.

"Hey, Annie!" I called out as she was passing by.

"Perce, this is Annabeth Chase. Daughter of Athena, goddess of wisdom & battle aka my best friend. Annie, this is Percy Jackson."

They both shook each other's hand & I swear to the Gods I saw her blush.

"So, what's my job?" Percy asked her.

"Border patrol. It’s easy. Stand by the creek, keep the reds away. Leave the rest to me. Athena always has a plan." She said & then yelled, “Blue team, forward!”

We cheered, shook our swords & followed her down the path to the south woods. The red team yelled taunts at us as they headed off toward the north.

I positioned myself on a tree. It was a well hidden spot & no one could see me up there.

I readied my bow. In a battle like this I always preferred having a bow, especially since I wasn't completely healed yet.

I heard Clarrise's voice a few feet away. She was going by the creek...but, that's where Percy was...oh gods...

I jumped down & ran to help him. When I made it I saw six of them about to attack. I came up from behind & shot an arrow at the boot of one. I shot another's shirt pinning him to a tree.

Percy was battling Clarrise. Two more began advancing at me. I summoned a lightning strike from the sky leaving them unconscious.

He took care of the other guy knocking the flat of his blade on his helmet. When Clarisse approached he snapped her electric spear in half using his shield & sword.

"Ah!" she screamed. "You idiot! You corpse-breath worm!"

She would’ve said worse, but he smacked her between the eyes with his sword-butt and she stumbled backward out of the creek.

Then we heard yelling, elated screams. I saw Luke racing toward the boundary line with the red team’s banner lifted high. He was flanked by a couple of Hermes guys covering him, & a few Apollo kids in the back. Clarisse muttered a dazed curse.

"A trick!" she shouted dazed. "It was a trick."

They staggered after Luke, but it was too late. Everybody converged on the creek as Luke ran across into our territory. Our team cheered.

The red banner shimmered & turned silver. The boar & spear got replaced with a huge caduceus, the symbol of cabin eleven. Chiron came from the woods & blew the conch horn.

The game was over. We won.

I went next to Percy in the creek & said.

"Not bad, hero." He smiled with a hint of pink on his cheeks. But then said.

"She set me up. She put me here because she knew Clarisse would come after me, while she sent Luke around the flank."

"Percy, calm down...woah wait, how'd you do that?" I asked looking at his arm.

"Sword cut," he said. "What do you think?"

"No. It was a sword cut. Look at it."

Where the huge cut had been, there was a long white scratch, & even that was fading, it turned into a small scar, & disappeared.

"I-I don’t get it," he said.

I looked at his feet, then at Clarisse’s broken spear, & said, "Step out of the water, Percy."

"What-"

"Just do it." He came out of the creek & almost fell over, but I caught him.

"Oh, Styx," I cursed. "This isn't good. I didn’t want…I assumed it would be."

A howl suddenly ripped through the forest. The campers cheering died. I quickly drew my bow.

On the rocks just above us was a hellhound as big as a rhino, with lava-red eyes & fangs like daggers. It was looking straight at Percy.

Nobody moved, but Annie suddenly yelled, "Percy, run!"

I tried to step in front of him, but the hound was too fast. It leaped over me & went for Percy, grabbing him with it's sharp teeth.

I shot the hounds neck with a cluster of arrows. The monster fell dead at his feet.

"Di immortales!" I said. "That’s a hellhound from the Fields of Punishment. They don’t…they’re not supposed to…"

"Someone summoned it, someone inside the camp." Chiron said coming up to us.

Clarisse yelled, "It’s all Percy’s fault! Percy summoned it!"

"Be quiet, child," Chiron told her.

"You’re hurt!" I told him. "Quick, Perce, get in the water."

"I’m okay." He said.

"No, you’re not," I said. "Chiron, watch this."

I could see the cuts on his chest closing up. Some of the campers gasped.

"Look, I-I don’t know why,” he said, trying to apologize. “I’m sorry…."

"Percy," I pointed above his head. "Um…"

When he looked up, the sign was already fading, but it was the hologram of green light, spinning & gleaming. A trident.

"Your dad," I murmured. "This is really bad."

"It is determined," Chiron announced.

"My dad?"

"Earthshaker, Stormbringer, Father of Horses. Hail, Perseus Jackson, Son of Poseidon the Sea God."

Vote, comment & share.
Take care my lovely readers.❤
Alice signing off.
XOXO.