CHAPTER 12

(Percy's POV)

The next morning, Chiron moved me to cabin three. I didn’t have to share with anybody. I had space for my stuff: the Minotaur’s horn, one set of spare clothes, & a toiletry bag.

I sat at my own dinner table, picked my own activities, called lights out when I wanted, & not listen to anyone.

I was utterly miserable. I had started to feel accepted, like I had a home in cabin eleven & may be a normal kid-I was separated as if I had a rare disease.

Nobody mentioned the hellhound, but I knew they were all talking about it behind my back. The attack scared everyone. It sent two messages: one, that I was a son of the Sea God; & two, monsters would stop at nothing to kill me.

The other campers stayed clear of me. Cabin eleven was too nervous for sword fighting classes with me after what I did to the Ares folks in the woods, so I asked Nora for one on one lessons. Honestly she was way better than Luke was at teaching me about it.

Nora also taught me Greek in the morning. She was the only person who was by my side when no one else was & I was grateful to her for that.

Clarisse kept her distance too, even though her venomous looks made it clear she wanted to kill me for breaking her magic spear. I wished she would just yell or punch me or something.

I’d rather fight than be ignored.

I knew someone at camp resented me, because one night I came to my cabin & found a newspaper dropped in the doorway, of the New York Daily News.

The article took me time to read so I gave up & went to Nora's cabin & asked her to read it for me.

"BOY AND MOTHER STILL MISSING AFTER FREAK CAR ACCIDENT-BY EILEEN SMYTHE

Sally Jackson & her son Percy are still missing a week after their mysterious disappearance. The family’s badly burned ‘78 Camaro was discovered last Saturday on a north Long Island road with the roof ripped off & the front axle broken. The car had flipped & skidded for a few hundred feet before exploding. Mother & son had gone for a weekend vacation to Montauk, but had left, under unknown circumstances. There's no sign of the missing Jacksons. Residents in the area reported seeing nothing at the time of the accident. Ms. Jackson’s husband, Gabe Ugliano, says, Percy Jackson is troubled-" she abruptly stopped.

"Okay, you know what? Enough of this crap!" She snapped tossing it aside, then sitting cross-legged on her bed. I went over & laid my head on her lap.

We talked for a bit until eventually I fell asleep while she slowly ran her fingers through my hair.

That night, I had a horrible dream.

I was running along a beach in a storm. There was a city behind me.

It was different: buildings were spread farther apart, palm trees & low hills in the distance. About hundred yards down the surf, two men were fighting.

They looked like wrestlers, muscular, with beards & long hair. Both wore flowing Greek tunics, one trimmed in blue, the other in green.

They grappled with each other, wrestled & kicked, & every time they did, lightning flashed, the sky grew dark, & the wind rose. I had to stop them. The wind blew me back, untill I was running in place.

Over the roar of the storm, I could hear the blue-robed one yelling at the green-robed one, Give it back! Give it back! Like a child fighting over a toy. The waves got bigger & crashed into the beach, spraying me with salt.

I yelled, Stop it! Stop fighting!

The ground shook. Evil laughter came from below the earth, it turned my blood to ice. Come down, little hero, the voice crooned.

The sand split beneath me, opening up a crevice. My feet slipped, & darkness consumed me. I woke up, sure that I was falling.

My head was still on Nora's lap & she was asleep. She looked beautiful, when she slept. I stroked a gentle hand across her cheek. Then I heard clopping at the door, a knock on the door. Nora woke up with a start.

"Come in, Grover." she said. How did she know it was him?

He trotted inside, worried. "You're both here. Mr. D wants to see you guys."

"Why?" I asked.

"He wants to kill….I mean, I’d better let him tell you."

I’d been expecting a summons to the Big House. Since I was Poseidon's son, I felt it was a crime for me to be alive.

We left the cabin & headed toward the big house.

The sky looked like an ink soup. A hazy curtain of rain was coming our way.

At the volleyball pit, the kids from Apollo’s cabin were playing a game against satyrs. Dionysus’s twins were walking around in the strawberry fields, making plants grow.

Everybody was doing their normal business, but they looked tense. They kept their eyes on the storm.

Grover, Nora & I walked to the Big House. Dionysus sat at the pinochle table in his tiger striped Hawaiian shirt & Diet Coke, just as he had on my first day. Chiron sat across the table in his fake wheelchair. They were playing against invisible opponents.

"Well, well," he said without looking up. "Our little celebrity." I waited.

"Come closer." Mr. D said. "Don’t expect me to knowtow you, just because old Barnacle-Beard is your father."

Lightning flashed across the sky. Thunder shook the windows.

"Blah, blah, blah," Dionysus said. "You don't have to worry Nora, you're my little sister. Come sit with me."

Nora smiled & sat beside him.

"If I could, I'd cause your molecules to erupt in flames, we’d sweep the ashes & be done with the trouble. But Chiron says it's against my mission at this cursed camp: keeping you little brats safe from harm." Mr.D said.

"Spontaneous combustion is a form of harm, Mr. D." Chiron put in.

"Nonsense," Dionysus said. "Boy wouldn’t feel a thing. But I agreed to restrain myself. I’m think I'll turn you into a dolphin instead & send you back to your father."

"Mr. D, please." Nora said. His gaze softened when he looked at her.

"Oh, all right," Dionysus relented. "There’s another option. But it’s deadly foolishness."

He rose, the invisible cards drop to the table.

"I’m off to Olympus for an emergency meeting. If the boy's still here when I'm back, I’ll turn him into an Atlantic bottlenose. Do you understand? And Perseus Jackson, if you’re smart, you’ll see the more sensible choice than what Chiron feels."

Dionysus picked a playing card, twisted it, & it became a plastic card. A security pass. He snapped his fingers & became a hologram, then the wind, then he was gone, leaving the smell of fresh-pressed grapes behind.

Chiron smiled, but it looked tired & strained.

"Sit, Percy, please & Grover." We did.

Decided to publish this one as well.😉

Vote, comment & share.
Take care my lovely readers.❤
Alice signing off.
XOXO.