CHAPTER 4 (Part-1)

(Ella's POV)

We tore through the night on dark country roads. Wind slammed against the Camaro, rain lashed the windshield.

I didn't know how Sally could see anything, but she kept her foot on the gas. I knew she was scared.

I introduced myself to Percy & he tells me a little bit about himself, & we began speaking for a bit.

It was quiet after that until Percy asked, "So..you & my mom...know each other?"

(Percy's POV)

Ella's eyes flitted to the rearview mirror, even though there were no cars behind us.

"Not exactly," she said. "I mean, I haven't met her in person, but she knew that Grover was watching you."

"Watching me?", I asked her.

"He kept tabs on you. To make sure you were okay. But he wasn't faking being your friend, he really was your friend. He talks a lot about you, you know." She said looking at me.

I blushed at the intensity of her gaze. It wasn't intimidating...just observing maybe even curious. When I caught her gaze she quickly looked away.

Suddenly my mom swerved & Elle winced in pain.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

"Yeah...I'm fine." She said.

"You're hurt!" I said noticing the blood soaking through her clothes, near the side of her ribs. "You need to patch that up. Hold on. Let me help you."

She stayed still as I patched up her wound. It looked a lot worse than what she let on, when I saw it from up close.

"Thank you." She said with a smile.

"No problem. It's the least I can do after you came this far to help me." I replied.

"Of course.." She replied with a smile.

God she was even more beautiful up close. She had a light almost invisible dusting of freckles on her cheeks & long lashes framing her sapphire eyes.

(Ella's POV)

"How did you get hurt?" Percy asked me suddenly.

"Got stabbed by a Minotaur." I replied.

He looked at me with wide eyes. "You mean like...Mr. Brunner's myths? Sorry, you don't know who he is right?"

"I do...& to answer your question, no it's not just a myth." I replied.

"But..." he started.

"Were those old ladies at the fruit stand a myth, Percy? Was Mrs. Dodds a myth?" I said cutting him off mid- sentence.

"So there was a Mrs. Dodds! But how do you know about the fruit ladies?" He asked.

"Of course there was. I can see visions. Some of the past..some of the future." I said in a matter-of-fact way.

"Woah, that's so cool. But why-"

"The less you knew, the fewer monsters you'd attract," I said, like it was perfectly obvious.

"They put Mist over the humans' eyes hoping you'd think the Kindly One was just a hallucination. But it was no good. You started to realize who you are." I continued.

"Who I-wait a minute, what do you mean?"

The weird bellowing noise came somewhere behind us, closer than before. Whatever was chasing us was still on our trail.

"Percy," Sally said, "there's too much to explain & not enough time. We have to get you to safety."

"Safety from what? Who's after me?"

"Oh, nobody much," I said, "Just the Lord of the Dead & his few blood thirsty minions."

"Ella!"

"Sorry, Sally. Can you drive faster, please?"

(Percy's POV)

I tried to wrap my mind around what was happening. I knew it wasn't a dream. I could never dream something this weird.

We swerved on a narrow road, racing past dark farmhouses & PICK YOUR OWN STRAWBERRIES signs on white picket fences.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"The summer camp I told you about. The place your father wanted to send you." My mom said.

"The place you didn't want me to go..?" I asked.

"Please, dear," my mother begged. "This is hard enough. Try to understand. You're in danger." My mom said, trying hard not to cry.

"Just because some old ladies cut yarn." I said.

"Those weren't old ladies." Elle said. "They were the Fates. Do you know what it means-they appeared in front of you? They only do that when you're about to..when someone's about to die."

"Whoa. You said 'you'." I said.

"No I didn't. I said 'someone'." She denied.

"You meant 'you.' As in me."

"I meant you, like 'someone'. Not 'you', you."

"Kids!" my mom said.

She swerved hard to the right, & I got a glimpse of a figure she avoided, a dark fluttering shape which was now behind us.

"What was that?" I asked.

"We're almost there," my mom said, ignoring me. "Another mile. Please. Please. Please."

Outside, there was nothing but rain & darkness. We passed by the kind of empty countryside you get way out on the tip of Long Island.

I thought about Mrs. Dodds & the moment she'd changed into the thing with pointed teeth & leathery wings.

My limbs went numb from delayed shock. She really hadn't been human. She'd meant to kill me! Then I thought about Mr. Brunner...& the sword he had thrown me.

Before I could ask Ella about that, the hairs rose on the back of my neck. There was a blinding flash, a jaw-rattling boom! & our car exploded.

Hope u guys liked the chapter!!🙂

Until next time...👋🏻

Vote, comment & share.
Take care my lovely readers.❤
Alice signing off.
XOXO.