Ch. 17 ⭐

On the evening of Diwali, Alekh and Naina dedicated their day to the orphanage while William and Natasha spent their time at the old-age home. After playing with the kids post-lunch, Alekh and Naina spent hours lighting firecrackers. Thomas and Jeremy later joined them and had fun together after sunset. They left only after the kids had dinner and were tucked in for the night. Alekh and Naina then changed into comfortable clothes and spent hours reminiscing past memories, both good and bad, by the pool under the starry sky.

Alekh recounted how his father had been a laborer and passed away in an accident when Alekh was just five years old. His mother raised him for a few years before she too fell ill and passed away, leaving Alekh with nowhere to go. He ended up in an orphanage but escaped at the age of 11 and fell in with a group of delinquent boys in his neighborhood who taught him how to pick pockets. And thus began his career as a pickpocket.

Naina confided that she had been overwhelmed by the confusion that engulfed her after waking up to her new life. Initially, she had no memory of her past, but as her memories started to return, she felt as though she was being tortured from the inside out. She recounted the moment when she had learned the devastating truth about her family and how it had made her feel.

The following day, Alekh and Naina spent time with their family and left early for the academy since they had to report for duty the next morning. Upon arriving, they sensed an odd tension among their friends and decided to investigate separately. Naina approached Pooja while Alekh approached Yudi and Huda, as they noticed Ali distancing himself from the group.

"What's going on? Why is Ali standing far away from our group?" Naina asked Pooja.

Pooja gave her a sorrowful look and explained what had transpired while they were away. BC had announced that the Military Hospital was to be opened to the general public due to a pandemic-like situation, and the injured soldiers were transferred to a temporary medical camp at KMA, which the cadets and faculty had set up in just two hours. Pooja was instructed to place an order for medicine from the local hospital, but she and Ali got caught up in a conversation, and she forgot to do so. As a result, one of the injured soldiers almost died due to the lack of necessary medicine. However, Huda's veterinary knowledge proved to be a lifesaver in this situation.

On the next day, Huda and Ali watched a match without seeking permission, as it was still their Diwali vacation. However, BC took offense to this, and Pooja was upset that they had not invited her to come along. In her anger, she decided to complain to Ali's father about his forgetfulness in placing the medicine order. BC overheard her and contacted Ali's parents, who expressed their disappointment in their son's behavior. As a result, Ali began to distance himself from the group.

Naina frowned at Pooja and said, "Pooja, what you did was wrong. I understand you just wanted to tease him, but we all know that Ali is sensitive about his family. You shouldn't have included them in the first place. Moreover, when you realized that BC misunderstood, why didn't you tell him the truth? You could have bent the truth a little and claimed that you lost the number of that hospital and were looking for it, that's why you couldn't place the order on time. He might have scolded you, but the situation wouldn't have worsened like this," she told her sternly.