Ch. 29 ⭐

Next morning

Captain Rajveer gathered all the first-year cadets in the academy courtyard, where he announced that a practice mission would take place outside the KMA grounds. Only the cadets who scored the highest marks on their written exam would participate. As the Super six had achieved the highest score, they were chosen and instructed to report to the north gate at 05:45 hours.

Having overheard Rajveer and Col. Shakti discussing the mission a few days earlier, Naina was well aware of its true purpose—to safely transfer the nuclear triggers from KMA. Consequently, she cautioned her friends to take the mission seriously and avoid any distractions.

In the evening, Rajveer wanted to assess the determination and focus of his cadets. To test them, he sent two bottles of alcohol to the boys' room. Alekh, Ali, Yudi, and Huda were engaged in a conversation in Alekh and Ali's room when the orderly delivered the bottles.

"I feel like something is wrong," Yudi speculated. "Why would Captain Rajveer send us alcohol the night before such an important mission?" he pondered.

"You're right, Yudi. Naina ji mentioned that we should remain vigilant at all times," Ali acknowledged.

"Guys, I don't think a few sips would hurt anyone," Huda remarked, wearing a mischievous grin.

Alekh rolled his eyes. "Leave the bottles here. We can drink them AFTER we successfully return from the mission. And I won't be drinking, as I promised Naina," he asserted firmly.

Just as Naina and Pooja arrived, they caught the tail end of the conversation. Upon inquiry, they were informed about the alcohol. "Guys, I overheard Rajveer sir saying that this mission is extremely important. The practice mission is merely a façade; there's a hidden, real mission behind it. It's unlikely that Rajveer sir would offer you alcohol to consume the night before. I think it's a test," Naina speculated.

"Thank goodness we didn't drink. Otherwise, we wouldn't have been able to perform at our best tomorrow," Ali sighed in relief.

"Oh man! No drinks?" Huda pouted.

"Nope. No drinks," Alekh chuckled, informing him.

.... - ....

Rajveer's room,
Faculty quarters
00:00 hours

Naina entered Rajveer's room by climbing through his window, and right away, she didn't like the smell of alcohol and Dr. Ritu's perfume coming from the living room. She peeked at the bed but it was empty. She tiptoed out of the bedroom and found Rajveer asleep in a armchair, sitting upright. She moved quietly towards him and noticed the smell of alcohol. Looking around, she saw two glasses—one had a lipstick mark and the other didn't. Both glasses were empty. Naina picked up both glasses and smelled them. She realized that Rajveer's glass had something more than just alcohol.

Heading to the kitchenette, Naina retrieved a water bottle from the fridge. Approaching Rajveer, she sprinkled some cold water on his face while calling his name.

Startled, Rajveer jolted awake and gazed up at his girlfriend with bleary eyes. "N-Naina?" he questioned, appearing confused.

"Here, have some water," she offered, handing him the bottle.

Rajveer grabbed the bottle and downed all of its contents in a single gulp. Gradually, he started feeling better and more sober. Naina sat on the armchair's armrest and ran her fingers through his hair. "What was Dr. Ritu doing in your room? And what did she give you to drink?" she inquired, her tone gentle and soothing.

"She came over to inform me that BC gave her permission to join our mission tomorrow. Then she asked for a drink. I offered because I wanted to ask her a few questions when she was intoxicated, but I don't know what happened... I don't remember anything after having my drink," he honestly confessed.