Friends

Pearl

I was seriously worried for Ren. Xisuma had told me he'd revealed what he did to Ren. From what I knew, no one but Martyn had seen him since. I wanted to find him and make sure he was okay. I knew it wasn't an easy thing to deal with.

I'd love to get some advice from Cleo but the zombie hybrid and I weren't on speaking terms at the moment. It hurt me that Cleo had shut me out. But I simply didn't believe that Ren had evil in his heart anymore. He seemed so nice and genuine, like how he used to be.

Which is exactly why I had to find him. I figured I could send him a message and hope he responds.

<You whisper to Renthedog> Hey Ren, are you okay?

To my immense surprise, I got a message back almost immediately.

<Renthedog whispers to you> Not really

<You whisper to Renthedog> Where are you? I wanna hang out :)

<Renthedog whispers to you> I'll meet you at the Arch of Champions

<You whisper to Renthedog> Oki, I'll be there soon :D

<Renthedog whispers to you> :D

Arch of Champions eh? I hadn't been there for a while, not since I went there to submit the quests I'd completed. From memory it was next to the Castle.

I beat my wings, launching into the sky. I grinned. I was getting much better at flying. I began to make my way over to the Arch of Champions.

It didn't take long to get there as my base wasn't all that far from it. As it came into view I admired it. It was gorgeous. I glided down, spying Ren standing in the middle, his back to me.
Trying to be as quiet as possible, I swooped down lower. I landed on the pavement, using my momentum to keep running and tackle Ren into a hug.

"Oh hey Pearl!" Ren laughed, "you gave me quite the surprise".

"Hey Ren!" I pulled away from the hug, grinning, "how are you?"

"Not all that great" Ren sighed, "it's a lot to deal with".

"I can only imagine" I said sympathetically, patting Ren's shoulder gently.

"Why are you the only person who's been willing to talk to me other than Martyn?" Ren stared at me quizzically, "I thought you would hate me".

"I believe people can change" I replied truthfully, "I think you've changed. You're who you used to be".

"Thank you Pearl" Ren smiled, "you're a good friend".

"I wish Cleo would understand" I said softly, "she's been refusing to speak to me".

"You don't need her" Ren said firmly, "you have me, and if she refuses to see reason, that's on her".

"You're right" I agreed, "Cleo is just being stubborn and unfair. She'll come around".

"Promise you'll stick with me?" Ren stared at me intensely.

"I promise" I nodded, without hesitating, "I trust you Ren".

And I meant it. Nothing he had done had made me feel worried or scared, I had no reason to hate him. Sure he'd made mistakes but that was in the past and I was mature enough to move on. I knew what it was like to feel hated and scorned for no reason, so I completely understood how Ren felt.

"And I trust you Pearl" Ren nodded, "I've made mistakes trusting others but I believe you would never do that, right?"

It struck me that he was talking about Bdubs. The person who'd crowned him, been his closest ally and eventually the one who would take it all away.