Tsireya

Pandora Reef
Metkayina Clan

"Tsireya", Tonowari shouted to the clan.

The Metkayina all stood in the shallow area of the reef holding hands. They repeated the Chief's daughter's name, "Tsireya."

Ronal held Ao'nung's hand as they looked up at the new member of their family.

———————————————————————

*3 years later*

Three-year-old  Tsireya trod water as her father lifted onto a baby ilu. Tsireya immediately wrapped her dainty hands around the handle. "Remember, daughter, slow down your heartbeat and breathe. Make the bond". Tsireya pulled her braid over her shoulder, bonding with her ilu. Her blue eyes widened, as did the creatures. "Feel her breath, her heartbeat" The metkayina girl closed her eyes. She slowed her heartbeat, so it was one with the ilu. She thought to go, and the ilu immediately began to swim away from Tonowari. Tsireya held her breath as the ilu dove underwater, but the current was too strong, so she toppled off the back of the ilu. Tonowari smiled at his daughter swimming towards her.

"That was an excellent first go, daughter; come on again."

———————————————————————

*4 years later*

"Ao'nung Ao'nung Ao'nung", Tsireya repeated, jumping on her brother's bed. Ao'nung grumbled, pushing her off. "Shut up; I'm trying to rest", he grunted, hiding under his blanket.

"Please, brother, it's important", she pouted. Ao'nung knew if he looked into her puppy dog eyes, he'd give in; he always had a soft spot for his sister.

Ao'nung sighed, lifting the blanket off his head. "What is it, Tsireya?"

He quickly noticed the tears pooling in her waterline while Tsireya meddled with her fingers, something she did when she was nervous. "Did you have another nightmare?"

Tsireya nodded her head, finally allowing tears to fall. Ao'nung pulled his sister into his chest, holding her close. He placed his hand on her head, quietly shushing her so she didn't wake their parents. Ao'nung shuffled to the side, allowing Tsireya to lie next to him. "It's ok, you're safe I'm right here", he soothed.

———————————————————————

*3 years later*

Tsireya sat on the ocean floor with her eyes closed as she slowed her heart rate. Being the Chief's daughter had its perks; she got her first servings of food and special treatment, but being the village princess wasn't all it lived up to be. The ocean was her home, and it was her escape. The sea welcomed her with open arms. A light touch on her arm brought her out of her daze; Tsireya's eyes fluttered open to see a panicked Rotxo signing in her face.

"What is the matter" she signed.

"We couldn't find you. We thought it had happened again", he signed back.

Tsireya's face fell. "I'm sorry, I needed some time alone." Roxto's eyes softened; he had been there when the accident happened. He and Ao'nung were the ones to comfort and protect her, so he was the first to look for her when no one could find her.

———————————————————————

*3 years later*

Tonowari marched into his mauri, holding his spear. "Daughter, it is time" Tsireya looked up at her father from the floor. She shook her head at his words.

"I'm not going, father", she whispered.

Tonowari looked at his daughter harshly, something he never did. Ao'nung saw his father's reaction and glanced worriedly at his sister.

"Tsireya, you must learn to pass your rite of passage. It is the Chief's children's duty to become warriors." he boomed, walking further into the hut.

"I do not want this, and I do not want to fight," she argued, standing up much to her brother's protest. Tsireya was quiet and reserved, and she always did what she was told and never put a toe out of line or disobeyed orders. "I love to teach and show the youngling the way of water, it  is my passion."

Tonowari stared down at his daughter, his mouth agape at her confession. "You mean this?" he queried, resting his spear against the wall.

"I do; I do not wish to disappoint you, father, but I can not go through with it," Tsireya begged. She glanced at her brother for help, but he just shrugged.

"Fine, you will prepare with your mother to go through the healer's rite of passage; I expect you to be ready by your 18th cycle."

"Yes, father"

———————————————————————

*4 years later*

"You know, seeing as you are a princess, maybe I could be your prince", Zute smirked, kissing Tsireya's knuckle. Tsireya rolled her eyes, yanking her hands away from him.

"No, thank you, Zute, I am not looking for any prince", she declared, walking away from the Metkayina boy.

"Oh, come on, princess, we make such a good couple with my handsome looks and your beautiful features," he remarked, falling into step with her.

She hated being called a princess even though she was the princess of Awa'atlu. It made her feel different from her clan; she was the same as everyone else, and a title wouldn't change that.

" I appreciate the compliment, Zute, but I am sadly not interested in a courtship with you," she said, trying to escape the awkward tension the boy had created, but he grabbed her wrist, pulling her back.

"Let me go, Zute."

"You're a little prissy bitch. You know that I am the perfect mate for you ..." before he could finish, a harsh punch sent him to the floor.

"Tsireya!" Ao'nung shouted as he ran up to his sister. he was hanging out with Rotxo when he saw Zute bothering his sister for the hundredth time. He didn't expect his little sister to punch him in the face. "Are you alright" he breathed, lifting up her swollen hand.

"I punched him in the face", she mumbled. Ao'nung looked worriedly at Rotxo. His sister wouldn't hurt a fish, so punching someone must be a shock.

"Tsireya"

"I punched him in the face", she beamed, smiling at her brother.

"Yea, you did", he nodded, smiling. "Feel better?"

"hmm, much, but my hand hurts a lot. I don't think I punched him right," she muttered, watching her light blue skin turn a deep purple.

"Let's get you healed before mother and father find out.