Chapter 9

Pandora Reef

Metkayina Clan

*10 years ago*

Tsireya had been tasked with collecting herbs for her mother's medicine so she could patch up wounds when the hunting party returned. She shuffled through the forest, the night sky falling over Awa'atlu, eclipse was starting. Dread settled in her stomach; going this far into the forest during eclipse and especially alone was forbidden. She had no weapon, only her woven basket, she began to run through the forest, following the trail back to the village, but she stopped when a twig snapped. Her breath hitched in her throat as her eyes scanned the empty wood. She released a quiet breath, but before she could continue, a large arm wrapped around her waist putting their other around her mouth. Tsireya tried to scream, but it was no use. Four more bodies appeared out of the shadows holding their spears and crossbows at the poor girl. Tears streamed down her face as her eyes darted to each na'vi.

"What are you doing all the way out here, sweet thing," One of the men asked, bending down to her eye level.

Tsireya struggled against her capture, his hand still firmly against her mouth; the leader nodded at the na'vi behind. Tsireya took a deep breath from the lack of air. The na'vi behind her pulled her queue harshly when she didn't speak. "I am collecting herbs for my mother", she cried, motioning to the spilt basket of plants.

"You are a far way from your village" The leader looked over Tsireya until eyes fell upon the small seashell tiara "Princess".

The other na'vi men laughed, pulling her queue harder. "What should we do with her?"

Tsireya's eyes pleaded with the na'vi in front of her, her small frame was shaking in his grasp, but he wasn't letting up.

"She could be useful in getting more resources; Tonowari must be taught a lesson." at the mention of her father, she cried harder, struggling to get out of the tight grip she was caught in. The leader drew his dagger, holding it at her neck, not enough to draw blood but enough to stop her squirming. He trailed the knife up her face tracing the blade along her cheekbone, swiping the tip cutting her. A drop of blood trickled down her cheek. "Let's hope your father finds you in time".

Tsireya sat up, breathing heavily, and her hands flew up to her cheek, but when her fingers felt no blood, she let out a large sigh. She hadn't realised she was crying until salty tears dropped onto her chest. She normally would wake her brother when she had a nightmare, but he had trained so hard that she didn't want to bother him. Tsireya snuck out of her mauri and let the night air consume her. The gentle sea wind pushed her hair back, calming her hot body. The sea ran up the beach, only just reaching her toes as she walked along the beach. The memories still floating around her mind, her head so clouded with her destructive thoughts that she didn't even register the small ow from the person below her.

Tsu'tey rubbed his tail gently, trying to soothe the pain when he looked up at her girl. Her cheeks were wet with tears, and her eyes seemed disassociated from reality. He quickly stood up, looking her over for injuries.

"Tsireya"

No response

"Tsireya!" he said louder placing his hands on her cheeks and forcing her to look at him, but it was like she wasn't even there. He scanned her over, noticing how her hands shook and her breath was short and quick. She was having a panic attack. Tsu'tey had helped Li'teya enough time with hers, but she was responsive. Tsireya isn't. He did the only thing he could at that moment. He kissed her. He pressed his cold lips against her soft ones. This was not how he envisioned their first kiss. He quickly broke apart for air when he saw her eyes return to their normal size. Tsireya took a large breath staring at Tsu'tey in shock.

"Why did you do that" she mumbled, her words stuttering as she tried to calm down.

Tsu'tey rubbed the back of his neck. "You had a panic attack, and um, Teya gets them enough, so I needed to calm your heart rate", he smiled sheepishly.

"By kissing me?"

"It's the only thing I could think of."

Tsireya blinked a few times, her breath regulated slowly, but Tsu'tey's hands remanded on her face stroking her cheek slowly, his thumb just passing over the healed-up scar. "Are you okay?"

Tsireya nodded. "I had a nightmare", her voice softened as tears threatened to fall. "Usually, I go to Ao'nung, but he's been so busy I didn't want to wake him."

"Stay with me tonight."

"What?" she blinked at him, had she heard him right.

"Stay with me tonight; I do not want you by yourself", he whispered

"But your father and my parents", she stuttered

"I don't care about my father; I just need you to be safe" He saw her hesitation. "Please".

"Okay," she mumbled. Tsu'tey wrapped his hands around her, slowly making their way to his mauri. He put his finger to his lips, he pulled her inside, tiptoeing through the central area until they reached his bedroom. Tsireya looked around his room; there wasn't much there, considering they had only been there a few months. She saw a few trinkets from the forest, bracelets that Tuk had made and a blue seashell. "You kept it", she whispered, still looking at the shell.

"Hmm" Tsu'tey lifted his head up from setting up a blanket and pillow on the floor. He saw what Tsireya was looking at and smiled that she had remembered. "Of course, I kept it." he walked closer to her so her back was flushed against his chest. "It is very special to me". Tsireya closed her eyes, trying to push any thoughts about the boy out of her mind, but she couldn't.

"Thank you for letting me stay. I don't think I can be alone right now," she mumbled, rubbing her tired eyes.

"You can sleep in my bed", he whispered, walking away from her to his makeshift bed on the floor. Tsireya immediately felt cold without his warmth.

"I can not make you sleep on the floor." Tsireya protested, turning around and walking to the bed on the floor.

Tsu'tey smirked. "Well, I can't have my princess sleep on the floor. What kind of gentleman would I be if I did?"

Before she could stop herself, Tsireya blurted out something she never thought she would. "What if we just shared the bed?"

Tsu'tey tried to hide the shock on his face with a smirk, but she saw right through him. He stepped out of the way gesturing for Tsireya to climb into the bed. Tsu'tey lay next to her, trying to avoid her gentle gaze. Tsireya smiled, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you, Tsu", she whispered before turning on her side away from the boy.

———————————————————————————

a/n

idk about this book. I feel like im losing the plot a bit but I'll preserve and keep going. Hopefully it will get better as we move forward.

-s