Chapter 25

Pandora Reef

Metkayina clan

She could feel him following her every move. She could hear the patter of his footsteps from the trees over her. His eyes were burning holes into the back of the princess's head. She innocently walked through the forest, laying her hands on the flowers around her and breathing in their intoxicating scent. Tsireya knew he was watching, and she craved his attention. They hadn't spoken in over a week, let alone been this close to each other, so yeah, she was dying for him to jump down and catch her. Her feet dragged her to a familiar waterfall—the same waterfall where they had their first kiss. Tsu'tey's breath hitched in his throat when he saw where she led them. Did this mean something? Was she trying to give him a sign?

"You can come out now, forest boy," she called out to the forest. A thump was heard behind her as she felt a presence press up against her back.

"Was I that obvious?" he asked, his chest flushing with her back, making blood rush to her cheeks and tinting them a light purple.

"I could hear you a mile away; you're not as good as you think you are." She felt the vibrations from his dark chuckle. A shiver ran down her spine at the tone of his voice. She loved his sweet personality, but something about the way he spoke so darkly and possessively ignited a flame in her stomach that made her head do flips.

"You bruise my ego, princess," he whispered in her ear, slightly nudging the tip of his nose against her earlobe.

"Seems you've lost your touch, forest boy," she breathed, trying to keep her strong composure, but with every breath he took, it faltered, making her puddle in front of him. Maybe this good girl act she's been putting on all her life has made her crave mischief. Maybe it made her desire trouble. Maybe it made her want to be caught doing unspeakable things just to feel a rush. Who's to say why she craved this? Maybe the war took a bigger toll on her than she thought.

"Is that so?" he asked, pushing her body towards a nearby tree so her back hit the trunk, forcing her to face him for the first time in a week. "Hi," he whispered.

"Hi," she said back, tilting her head teasingly.

"You've been avoiding me, Yawne," Tsu'tey whispered, towering over the girl and trapping her in between him and the tree.

"Been busy," she shrugged.

He clicked his tongue. "We both know that's not true; you've been busying yourself to avoid me".

"I'm the princess of this clan after a time of great sorrow. I have duties, Tsu'tey," she spat, trying to wiggle out of the trap she found herself in, but Tsu'tey had other plans, planting his hand against the trunk.

"We're not leaving until we sort this out, Reya."

She huffed, blowing a stray hair from her face. "There's nothing to discuss; I'm busy, that's all."

"You know, I hear what you're saying, but I don't think you mean what you're saying. You told me I could push you away and avoid you, but you'd always be there for me."

Tsireya's eyes dipped down to her feet to avoid his gaze; she was doing the very thing she promised to save him from. She's been pushing away to avoid putting her burden on him, but the look in his eyes made her realise he was begging to let her burdens be shared with him.

"People change; things change."

"I can see that. So what happens now? I let you go; you keep avoiding me like nothing happened".

She let out a frustrated sigh at his dense question. Men "But something did happen, Tsu'tey. My people went to war, my people died, and you almost died." She tilted her head back so it rested against the tree "I don't know how to deal with all these new emotions, so I'm ignoring them".

Tsu'tey relaxed his stance, dropping his arm back to his side so he could intertwine their fingers. "Tsireya..."

"I know what you're going to say, but I can't help it; I don't know what else to do. Every time I close my eyes, I hear your voice. It's so broken, and it is killing me," she whispered, blinking rapidly to hide her tears.

His eyes softened at her confession; he had finally broken her mask. After weeks and months of getting to know her, he finally got her to take off that mask she was putting on. Every touch and conversation had led to this moment. The moment when he saw the true her, not the version her parents wished for or what the clan wished for It was just Tsireya. Not the princess. Tsireya. A young woman who yearned to be a child once more. To swim with her Ilu with no consequences. To sit on the beach making jewellery out of seashells without her mother's criticism over her shoulder. To love without thinking, she had to provide a mate for the clan. She just wanted to live, and he finally got her to be the girl she prayed to be.

He pulled her into his chest, wrapping his arms around her body and holding her close. She melted into his embrace, clawing at his back and holding him impossibly close.

"I thought if I focused on my duties, that would fill the void inside of me, but it didn't. I still feel empty inside." Tsu'tey listened with compassion, taking in every word. "I know I've been distant and hard to read lately, but I just couldn't keep hiding this from you. I need your help. I need you. Tsu'tey reached out and took her hand. "You don't have to go through this alone," he said. "I'm here for you, always." Tsireya felt a weight lift off her shoulders as she leaned up to his face, leaving a quick kiss on his lips, but he wasn't satisfied. He grabbed her face, pulled her back, and kissed her with all the compassion in his heart. She felt the love he had for her, and it made her heart sting to think he wouldn't be there for her. Of course, he would. Tsu'tey would be there for her, as would she.

—————————————————————————

a/n

think its time for this story to come to end cuz like it has literally no interactions so I might write like 2 or 3 more chapters before the epilogue.