Chapter 22

Pandora reef

Metkayina clan 

Tsireya sat silently on her ilu, gliding back towards  Awa'atlu. Her arms hugged her ilu's neck, searching for any comfort she could. Once again, she was alone. She only had herself to keep her mind from spiralling out of control. Tsireya closed her eyes for a few seconds to collect herself, but as soon as she did, the night's previous events flashed through her head, forcing her eyes open. Tsutey was tied up on the ship; Lo'ak was dead; Teya was dead; and her family was missing. Even though they had escaped the nightmare, she would always be stuck in her own.

The sound of warrior cries and shouting caught her attention as the village could be seen on the horizon. Lanterns of fire lit up the village beach as Metkayinan na'vi dashed across the beach, attending to the wounded or sending out search parties to find na'vi who were yet to return. Including the princess. Tonowari stood in the centre of the beach, screaming at clan members to find his precious daughter. Ronal stood by his side, stroking his biceps, trying to calm him down, but nothing could.

"Wari," the Tsahik whispered.

The chief looked down at his wife, tears collecting in his eyes "The last thing I told her was that she was a disappointment". His strong stance faltered as his shoulders sagged. Ronal let out a sigh, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"We will find her; she is stronger than you think." Her voice wavered while her eyes landed on their eldest. Ao'nung sat by the shore, his knees pulled to his chest, and Rotxo sat in a similar position.

Ao'nung rested his head on his knees, blankly staring at the ocean, hoping to see a glimpse of his little sister. After Kiri was taken from Ao'nung and Rotxo's grasp, they were chased through the seaweed until they found Tonowari, who killed all the demons in the subs. Even though his sister was still out there, he was pushed back to the village to patch up his injuries. Ronal had wrapped his arm in seaweed to keep it from being infected. He had scratches and bruises across his chest and arms, but he pushed the pain away to seem strong for his father. He also put his feelings for Neteyam at the bottom of his chest; he was dying to know if the Omatikaya boy was alright, and his tail repeatedly smacked the sand at the thought of the boy. Rotxo could feel his best friend's worry, so he placed his hand on his arm to calm him down. Ao'nung's tail seemed to slow its movement as he relaxed under Rotxo's comfort.

The village horn sounded, bringing the boy's attention back to reality. They shot up from their spots on the beach, watching as six ilus swam towards the shore.

Tsireya saw her brother standing by the water as she climbed off her ilu, running towards him. The water splashed around her feet as she tackled him in a hug. He stumbled back from the force but quickly wrapped his arms around her waist, holding her close. Tsireya let out sobs, which were muffled by his shoulder while he stroked her hair softly.

"Thank you, great mother," he whispered.

Tsireya held him tighter as more tears fell down her face. "I thought I lost you, brother." Her voice was coarse and raspy from the shouting and crying she had done. It made Ao'nung's heart shatter to see his sister so fragile.

"I'm here," he whispered. "We're all here."

Tsireya pulled away from her brother, staring into his oceanic eyes, as Neteyam approached the pair. She saw Neteyam's embarrassed look as the boy stared at the floor. Tsireya squeezed Ao'nung's hand "I am going to find Mum and Dad". Without another word, she left the forbidden lovers in search of her parents. Tonowari was speaking with Jake Sully and Neytiri before his ears pricked up at the sound of familiar footsteps. Tsireya rocked on the balls of her heels a few steps away, Tonowari almost melted at the sight of his baby girl. Her face was covered in dried tears and blood splatters. Her arms were covered in bruises in the shape of handprints, and her knees were skinned to hell.

Tonowari said a goodbye to the couple as Tsireya collapsed in her father's embrace. Oh, my sweet girl!" he cried, holding her small frame against his chest.

Tsireya clawed at her father's back, holding him impossibly close. "I'm so sorry, Daddy," she sniffled, hiding her face in the crook of his neck.

"Why are you sorry?" he asked, pulling back from the hug and staring at his daughter, but she refused to meet his gaze.

She wiped her nose on the back of her hand, something she used to do when she was little. "I tried to keep the Sullys safe as you asked, but I couldn't. I failed you, Father".

Tonowari frowned. He never should have said such cruel words to her; all she has ever wanted was to make her parents proud, and he crushed her in five words. No, no," he said, putting his hands on her cheeks forcing her to look at him. "It is me who has failed you; I am so very proud of you." His words felt like glue, piecing her broken heart back together. "I see you, daughter."

"I see you, Father," she murmured, resting her head on his hands. A sudden thought popped into her head, making her tail stand up. "Where is Momma?".

Tonowari sighed happily, a small smile making its way onto his face as he pointed to where Ronal was healing fellow clan members. Tsireya's eyes darted over to her mother, who was indeed smothering a healing paste over a warrior's cuts. "Momma!" she shouted. The Tsahik's head shot up at the sound of her daughter's voice. Ronal muttered a quick apology to the warrior before she ran to her family, enveloping Tsireya in a strong embrace.

"Oh, great Mother, thank you," Ronal whispered to Eywa, just like Ao'nung had done. Ronal threaded her fingers through Tsireya's curls, muttering sweet nothings in her ear. "Oh, my darling girl," Ao'nung noticed his family on the other side of the beach; he gave Neteyam a quick kiss on the cheek before running over to them. He watched his father wrap him around his mother and Tsireya while he stood alone. Ronal noticed her eldest motioning for him to join them, which he happily complied with. He collapsed into his mother's open arms as the family fell to the floor in a hug. Tsireya sighed in contempt while wrapped in her parent's arms; she felt like she was seven again after the rival clan let her go. She hid in her parent's arms for hours, scared to let them go. She was home. She was safe. They had won the war, but at what cost?

—————————————————————————