Chapter 16

Pandora Reef
Metkayina Clan

Tsireya separated from the group after Li'teya stormed out of her mauri heading for the docks. The Metkayina princess dived into the water just as rain started to pour over the village. She swam to the bottom of the reef the ocean surrounding her like a blanket protecting a child from their demons. Her eyes shut breathing in the way of the water Our hearts beat in the womb of the world. Water connects all things, life to death, darkness to light. The sea gives and the sea takes. Tsireya lived by those words every day. Everything happens for a reason whether it be good or bad so she doesn't complain. maybe that's why she is so optimistic. Life does give enough time to judge or belittle so why waste it? She didn't know what she did to deserve someone as kind and caring as Tsu'tey to choose her to love but like her morals said she wasn't complaining. The omatikaya boy immediately followed the girl thankful for his training he was able to follow her down to the ocean floor where she sat legs crossed engrossed in the ocean. Like a puzzle fitting its missing piece. He sat in front of her gently tapping her arm to get her attention.

"Are you okay?" he signed "You only come here when you are overwhelmed"

Tsireya smiled her dimples showing "Let's go up" she signed back taking his hand and swimming up to the surface.

Tsu'tey took a deep breath treading water as Tsireay broke the surface "Come" she gracefully swam towards a rock large pulling him onto it. Tsireya layed back on her hands looking towards the rainy sky, Tsu'tey copied her stance except his eyes were stuck on her.

"Are we safe?" she asked still looking towards the clouds, she didn't know why that thought popped into her head but it's been gnawing at her for weeks.

"Safe? Why wouldn't be safe?" he asked leaning forward and getting a clearer look at her distressed face.

"I mean the sky people. They aren't going to come here right?" her voice wavering as she spoke but she had to be strong. Princesses don't cry. It was what her mother always told her when she showed emotion in public. Princesses don't cry.

"We're safe Princess, they aren't going to hurt us."

"Promise" She knew it was futile to ask him to promise this but she needed that assurance that they weren't going to come here and take everything away from her.

"I promise, the sky people don't know we are here. We are safe. I promise". Tsu'tey pulled her into his chest holding her close. He knew he couldnt his promise but what else could he say to her? The sky people were coming there was no doubt about that. It was just a matter of when.

The two sat in comfortable silence just being with each other was enough to make them forget.

"Do you know" Tsu'tey started catching Tsireya's attention "What the light is called after the sun sets?"

Tsireya shook her head, Tsu'tey smiled kissing her temple "It's called the afterglow. It's how I feel about you" he admitted

This piqued her interest "How so?"

"Because" he mused" like the sun even when it's not there it leaves traces like the colours in the sky. When you are not with me, you leave traces like your smile in my mind or the seashell that sits in my room. You aren't there but you are never really gone. You're my afterglow".

—————————————————————————

The hunters returned from their rounds reporting an attack on the returning Tulken. Tsu'tey stood in the doorway of his mauri watching the Tsahik and chief ride their ilus towards the dead tulken and calf. Teya leant into her brother's side hiding from the screams of agony over the dead spirit sister. The rain battered down hard over the village a sign that Eywa was mourning the loss of the sea.