Phase 4: Chapter 8

"That's great news, isn't it?" Ralph Langley asked in a joyous tone of voice from where he sat on his living room couch. It was Halloween night, and he and Jack were spending it watching the only non-holiday based movie marathon on TV. It wasn't that Ralph had a distaste for the holiday, but he was getting too old to enjoy the shenanigans of dressing up and trick-or-treating. He was perfectly happy sitting here on the couch, curled up beside Jack.

"I'm not saying it isn't good news" Jack argued as he continued to tune out the movie. "I'm just saying that the whole thing makes me feel like a chess pawn. My dad's just using me to win the game for himself."

Ralph didn't know what to say. He knew Jack was right, and it just plain sucked that Evan only decided to hire a personal lawyer for the trial to protect his money-making empire Solight Energy Corporation. So as usual, Ralph said nothing. He just gently caressed Jack's knee and thigh that was stretched horizontally across his own body. Jack sat back against the armrest of the couch, his legs across Ralph who sat properly, facing the TV screen.

Over the past week, Jack had met with Brett Winslow at least every other day after school. The trial was less than two months away, and Brett continued to insist that what little time they had left was precious. It didn't take long for Jack to grow to like the man. He was much kinder than his own father, and seemed to have a genuine interest in helping Jack in spite of Evan's selfish reason to hire him. Brett did his best to continuously assure Jack that everything was going to be okay. Jack appreciated the assurance simply because nobody before Ralph had ever tried to give him any. And Jack knew Ralph too well to believe him when he tried to convince him everything would work out alright. Ralph loved him too much to say anything else.

Both the two boys' lawyers knew about their friendship, but neither one knew that it ran deeper than that. Of course, Jack could never tell Brett because Brett would surely tell his father. And Ralph wasn't planning on telling Zoey either, given that any mention of it bled into the possibility of it coming out in the trial. Not even attorney-client privilege was assuring enough for either boy to reveal the truth about the relationship to anyone who had anything to do with the trial.

Jeffery, Laurie, and Paige were the only people who knew just how involved Jack and Ralph really were. Of course, they all understood the gravity of the situation and had no intention of revealing the truth about the boys in any context during the duration of the trial. Jack was counting on fear tactics and loyalty to keep Roger, the twins, Tony, and Rapper from saying anything.

The last month leading up to the trial was a whirlwind of emotion for not only Jack and Ralph, but for the other twenty boys going on trial with them. Sam and Eric, Roger, Maurice, Larry, Rapper, Tony, and the rest of them were all equally as busy preparing for the day they'd be taking the stand. Many if not all of their family members also received subpoenas to appear in court as character witnesses shortly after news of the trial hit the press.

The hardest part about November was the aftermath of the press release. Once the first story about the trial hit the news, it was on virtually every channel and radio station in Georgia. Night after night, news reporters talked endlessly about what the public could expect from the trial. Of course, it would be a closed trial, meaning the public would not be allowed into the courtroom. But still, the news consumed the media and generated a lot of interest not only across Georgia but across the country. People still vividly remembered what a frenzy America was in when the plane disappeared over two years ago now. It was the biggest story in the country at the time, and it resurfaced as the star of the media again when the boys were rescued nearly five months later. It then loomed in the headlines for another few weeks as morality issues were raised before it faded out again.

The press release on November 9, 1992 was the first time since early 1991 that Bainbridge Military Academy was making headlines. Not only did it make the boys lives difficult, but it also caused the academy to face some of their lowest enrolment records in decades. Nobody wanted to send their children to a school that was notorious for such a tragic event. The academy itself was unfortunately associated with the brutal charges that the surviving boys were facing today.

It felt to Jack like he was spending more time with Brett Winslow than he was with Ralph, at school, or with his family. Jack wasn't insecure about his defense itself. Brett did a great job of explaining all the legal kinks to him, and he continued to insist he was confident he could get Jack off on the charges. Jack was being charged in connection with Piggy's death, as well as being an active and willing participant in Simon's. The rest of the boys aside from Roger and Larry were only facing charges in relation to Simon's death. Roger also had Piggy's death to combat, and Larry had the involuntary manslaughter of Captain Benson on his back.

Jack and Brett coordinated with one another in setting up their meetings. Aside from setting up the initial meeting in late October, and paying all the legal fees, Evan had virtually no involvement at all. It was typical of him, Jack thought. Evan wanted nothing to do with the trial, didn't care about anything beyond what was necessary to protect the Merridew name from public scrutiny. Naturally, he was annoyed when Brett subpoenaed him to appear as a character witness for Jack. He'd have to fake an affection for his son, publicly pretend that Jack could do no wrong. The arrival of both Evan's and Paige's subpoenas only managed to make things worse between Jack and Evan.

One Sunday night in mid November, Jack was scheduled to meet with Brett later that evening. Currently, he was helping Ralph pack his backpack for his return to East Point for the week. Before the subpoenas and the trial preparation took over, Jack and Ralph sometimes got to see each other during the week alongside their regular weekends together. But ever since they became focused on and busy with their lawyers and defense preparation, they didn't have the time to see each other during the week anymore. Jack helped Ralph pack knowing he wouldn't get to see Ralph again til Friday. That was a whole five days away, and even five minutes seemed to be passing painfully slowly right now. The two boys gathered and brought Ralph's things down to the front entryway of Jack's house.

"I already miss you" Ralph said sadly, with pained, glassy, dark brown eyes that made Jack's heart ache.

"I know" Jack forced a smile as he combed his fingers through the hair on Ralph's forehead just once. "I'm gonna miss you too" he added quietly.

Ralph couldn't stop himself from bridging the gap between them and wrapping his arms around Jack's waist. He sighed with content as Jack held him, dragging gentle fingers down Ralph's neck and back. They inevitably pulled apart as Jack stepped around Ralph to open the front door. Ralph put his arm through his other backpack strap and tried so hard to resist the dying need to cry as he stepped out onto the Merridew's $250 welcome mat. Jack hated seeing him so sad, hated that he could always tell when Ralph was trying not to cry everytime they parted ways for the week.

"I love you" Jack said softly, reaching a hand out to rub Ralph's goosebump-covered arm as he spoke.

"I love you more" Ralph quietly responded.

They always dragged out their goodbyes like this, as if it were the last time they'd see each other for years. They could be so dramatic, as teenagers often were. Jack sighed and stepped down onto the mat with Ralph. He confidently pulled Ralph into his arms and pressed his lips hungrily to the brunette boy's swollen ones. Ralph responded by passionately and aggressively kissing Jack back, then softly pulling his own lips apart so Jack could trace them with his tongue. Ralph's knees shook from a pleasure that would never get old, and Jack gripped tighter onto his back to hold him up.

The two boys pulled apart when they heard Laurie's SUV pull up into the circular driveway. Ralph smiled at Jack and held onto his hand until gravity forced him to let go as he made his way down the stairs. He waved to Jack as he climbed into the front seat of his mom's car. Jack waved back, watching as they drove off, not taking his eyes off the vehicle until it was out of sight.

Ralph felt his stomach knot up as they drove off. With the trial nearing, Ralph couldn't shake the feeling that he was running on a clock. The closer the trial got, the less time he felt he had. He thought back to what life had been like those many months ago now when Jack ran away and broke up with him. It was an agonizing experience, one Ralph would do anything to keep from experiencing again. The passage of time felt like a threat. He worried that perhaps he'd have the rest of his life to be without Jack, and therefore every last second they still had was worth more than life itself.

But of course, Ralph wouldn't dare tell Jack, or anyone else, that. He didn't have the guts, or perhaps the heart, to admit that he wasn't so sure they'd all be rescued this time.