Phase 4: Chapter 14

December 7, 1992. 9:36AM.

Ralph Langley couldn't peel his eyes away from Andrew Murray as the Flag State prosecutor took the few steps to return to his seat behind the table. It was a relief that the prosecution opening statements were completed, and Ralph had miraculously made it through unscathed. At least he could breathe properly for a minute while primary defense attorney, Jeremy Reyonolds, told their side of the story. Now, they might have a chance at balancing out the awful image of the boys the prosecution surely put in the jury's heads.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen of the jury" Jeremy spoke as he crossed the floor from his table to the front of the courtroom. "My name is Jeremy Reynolds, and I am representing the defendants, the former cadets at Bainbridge Military Academy, in this case. You've heard both Murray and Barnes describe my clients as former cadets, and as defendants. While both these labels are accurate, the prosecution ignored one very important one, perhaps the most important one of all; children. All twenty two defendants on trial today are children, whose ages ranged between seven and thirteen years old at the time in question. How many of us in the courtroom today can say that we, as grown men and women, know what we would've done in the boys' shoes out on that island? Not only will I prove that these boys are not guilty of the crimes they are accused of, but that they are actually victims of circumstance. The reason we don't allow anyone under the age of eighteen to vote, or drink, or live alone is because we do not expect them to understand the law, nor do we expect them to predict the potential consequences of their actions in advance. Right and wrong is a blurry concept in the developmental years, one that even under ordinary conditions, we do not expect children to navigate alone. Not only were these twenty two children put in an unfathomable position, but they were forced to manage it without any connection to or assistance from the adults they depend upon. If we don't expect children to grasp the concept of consequences, of right and wrong, of the way the law works while in the safety and security of our homes, how could we possibly expect these seven- to thirteen-year-old kids to grasp it out on a deserted island in the middle of nowhere, with no adult guidance whatsoever? I am not here to argue that the loss of life that occurred wasn't a horrible tragedy, because it was. But I am here to argue that the extraordinary circumstances under which their deaths occurred blurred the lines between right and wrong, and forced the twenty two children in this courtroom today to do whatever it took to survive. I am asking you, members of the jury, to consider what you might do to in a chronic life-or-death situation like the one these children experienced. Making mistakes is inevitable, as we are all human, especially in the face of severe trauma. How much can we really expect from a bunch of unsupervised children in a dangerous, unfaimiliar environment? Accidents are more likely to happen when we're under stress and carrying the weight of severe trauma. And that is exactly how the three deceased individuals lost their lives out on that island; on accident. I am confident that by the end of this trial, you, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, will come to realize the same thing. That is why I am asking you to carefully consider the circumstances these events occurred under, and to deliver a verdict of not guilty on all counts. Thank you for listening."

Despite the fact that Jeremy's opening statement did a much better job of telling the boys' side of the story, Ralph's heart was still beating violently inside his chest when the defense attorney finished. Ralph glanced over his shoulder, allowing his eyes to effortlessly land on Jack and the Merridew family sitting on the other side of the aisle. Jack's head was slightly bent down, and he looked to be staring at his shoes or something on the ground. Paige and Evan were both watching the front of the courtroom intently as the defense attorney returned to his seat.

"Councillor Barnes, you may call your first witness" Judge Eldeson declared once the room was quiet again.

"The prosecution calls Gregory Baines to the stand" Dana Barnes loudly proclaimed.