Why Can't We Be Friends?

Wes just stares at me with a face full of worry and concern. I sit up and turn towards the head of the bed which causes Wes to sit up as well. "I..." is all I can say. I look up at his bulletin board of pictures and find the one picture of Wes and Drew from when they graduated. They each have an arm around each other and are both genuinely happy, because they did it together. Their friendship is so strong that they wouldn't know what to do without each other. Am I really about to tell Wes everything and ruin his friendship with Drew?

I feel Wes place his hand on my leg. "Tori, what's wrong?"

I don't know if I can tell him everything right now but I am going to tell him how I feel. "I...just feel like I don't deserve you." The second that comes out of my mouth, I start balling my eyes out.

Wes inches closer to me and wipes away every tear. "Why do you feel that way?"

"Because all I'm doing is coming between you and someone else you care about."

He looks into my eyes and then asks, "Drew?" I nod. "What made you think about this now?" I pause not knowing what do say. Of course, the real reason it came to my mind is because the entire time we were doing it I was thinking about my dream, but I can't tell him that. That would kill him. While I take my time to think of an answer, Wes's phone goes off indicating that he just got a text message. He grabs his phone off of his nightstand. I watch as he reads it and I can tell from his expression that it bothers him.

I slowly try to take the phone out of his hand and he releases his grip letting me take it. The top of the screen says: Drew. The text reads:

Why the hell would you leave early bro? This party is for us...we were supposed to celebrate together. Thanks for ditching me AGAIN. I hope she was worth with.

When I read it, I automatically know the last part is about me. I look up at Wes who has a sympathetic look on his face. "This is what made me think about this now. I knew he would try to make you feel bad for choosing me over him tonight." I say while holding up the phone. I toss his phone back at him. "You shouldn't have to choose between your best friend and your girlfriend, Wes. This is why you deserve someone better than me, someone that doesn't put you in this type of position." Here come the tears again.

Wes wraps his arms around me and lets me cry on his shoulder. "I don't care about what I deserve because the only person I want to be with is you. We can work this all out."

I look up at him. "How?"

"Well, I think you should start by talking to Drew. Maybe you two can put your differences aside and try to be friends." Ugh, I had a feeling he was going to suggest this. If I thought trying to become friends with Drew was tough before, than it's definitely going to be tougher this time around- especially since we spent that night together. "What do you think?" Wes asks as he moves a strand of hair out of my face.

"I think I can try to talk to him."

Wes smiles and kisses my lips. "I love you babe."

"I love you too." Wes lays back and I snuggle close to him. Wes falls asleep the second he hits the pillow and I lie awake thinking about the things I'm going to have to say to Drew. Once I figure out what I can say to him, I finally fall asleep.

The next morning I wake up at around noontime without Wes next to me. I am feeling a lot better than last night. I know for sure I'll be able to continue my relationship with Wes if I just try to work something out with Drew. Before I start stressing myself out about the situation, I get up and head to the bathroom. I take a quick glance at my reflection in the mirror and sigh at how bad I look right now. My makeup is all messed up from the crying I did last night and I have a terrible case of bedhead.