chapter 12

***

***

After school arrived earlier than usual. It was mainly because of what happened during lunch period and the principal felt the need to release us early. Since what happened to the student possibly traumatized us, he felt the need to give us time to gather ourselves and cool down.

How thoughtful of him.

I hadn't seen Jooheon ever since that awful situation in the cafeteria. Even if I did I wouldn't have the ability to keep my composure around him. I would've felt uncomfortable. Although I didn't know the reason behind the whole fight but seeing him in that state really shocked me.

My journey home was overwhelmed with silence. But what was louder than silence were the thoughts that raced in my head.

I was just about to cross the road until I was gently pulled back by someone. I turned around to see who was behind me.

"Hi Jae."

I rolled my eyes and tried to yank my arm off his grip.

"What do you want, Haneul?" I asked as I tried not to sound rude.

"I wanted to speak to you-"

"About what? All of a sudden you want to speak to me after you embarrassed me! What did I ever do to you, Haneul?"

I didn't care if people watched us, I was too upset to handle things cordially.

"Look I understand that you're still mad at me but can we at least talk about it?" He asked.

"5 minutes tops." I said as I crossed my arms in front of my chest.

He insisted that we should go to the coffee shop to sit down and have a proper conversation. Eventually I agreed and he led the way.

The coffee shop wasn't far from where we were. We entered the coffee shop and chose a seat that was by the window which was situated at the corner of the shop.

I sat down. Haneul asked if I wanted anything to drink and I just blatantly said coffee. While he ordered for us I looked out the window and watched the cars pass by.

I wasn't in the mood for socializing and being around people. The urge of wanting to be alone was high.

After some time Haneul came back to the table and sat down.

"Let me just get to the point. I understand that you're mad at me about what happened. I'm sorry for treating you that way, I didn't know how to react-"

"You could've ignored me or friend zoned me, I wouldn't be so heartbroken." I said as I looked away from him.

"I understand and I'm sorry. Look I know that you have something going on with Jooheon but can we at least be friends or something?" He asked.

Why was he assuming that Jooheon was my boyfriend?

As I was about to answer I saw someone enter the cafe. She turned to my direction and approached us. My heart raced as I tried to telepathically tell her to not approach our direction.

"Hi Haneul, I didn't know you had a girlfriend." She teased. I rolled my eyes and a chuckle escaped my lips.

"No no, she's not my girlfriend. She's Jooheon's girlfriend, your cousin." He said.

She turned to look at me. Her eyes trailed down to my hands that were placed on the table back to my eyes.

"You're my cousin's girlfriend? How come he didn't tell me? That rascal."

Shit. I had to do damaged control but everything was happened at a fast pace.

"I'm Wheein, Jung Wheein." She extended her hand insisting for a hand shake.

I extended mine which resulted in a handshake. I had a crush on her at a certain point in my life. No one knew about it other than my best friend Nabi. Knowing that she and Jooheon were cousins terrified me. I didn't know how I would react if they both were in the same room as me.

"You're pretty by the way, anyways I'll see you tomorrow Haneul. Oh and Jae?"

How did she know my name?

I slightly nodded.

"I'll tell Jooheon I met you." She winked and walked away.

I let out a deep sigh. I looked at Haneul and rolled my eyes. I thought she took him away from me for my own good.

"What do you say?" He asked.

"If you show respect towards me and not treat me like I'm sort of an embarrassment to you then sure." I answered with a stern look on my face.

"Deal"  he said.

I slightly nodded and tried to smile. At the back of my head I knew that my smile looked fake but I didn't seem to care.

I honestly didn't want to be friends with him at all but I was bored with my life at that time so I just agreed for the sake of it.

I just hope Jooheon wouldn't have a problem with it.