[ The Burial ]

CHAPTER 26 [ New Orleans, 2011]

CHAPTER 26
[ New Orleans, 2011]

Elijah had returned to the compound, gathering his siblings along the way as they sat in the living area, ready to discuss his 'brilliant' idea. Rebekah simply rolled her eyes as he went into detail about burying their mother and channeling her magic to the witch ancestors. "It's taken one thousand years, but you've finally gone mad. Our own mother?"

"Yes, our beloved mother" he nodded. "Who Niklaus has affectionately placed in a coffin in his basement-not daggered, but quite dead."

Klaus shrugged. "Well, she did try to kill us all."

"Well, I say we put her to use and put her to rest once and for all. Now if we bury our mother on land owned by one of her descendants, she becomes a New Orleans witch, and we, as her family, share in that ancestral magic." He smiled, he couldn't deny that he was smug about this.

"We're vampires, Elijah. We can't practice magic. Or own property, for that matter." Rebekah sighed, stating the obvious.

"Yes. With regard to practicing magic. I do not believe  either of our witch allies will be willing to assist us. However, Sophie Devereaux is more than willing. After we bury our mother, we can channel all her power to Sophie. But as conduits of our mothers magic, we must participate in the Harvest." Klaus raised an eyebrow at the plan, he was mildly impressed.

"And, as for owning property, not all of our mother's descendants are dead..."

Klaus smirked. "The baby."

"The baby. The parish Tax Assessor's office is just steps outside of the Quarter. Hayley now holds the title to the plantation. So, if we bury our mother there, and we consecrate those grounds, we can finish the Harvest ritual."

"You're a bit of a mad genius, Elijah. Count me in." Klaus smiled, standing as he believed the conversation was finished but Rebekah stopped him.

"Am I the only one thinking? Our mother was the most powerful witch in history. If we bury her, we hand that power to our enemies to use against us." She raised an eyebrow, looking between her brothers, surprised that neither had come to the realisation sooner.

"Given our circumstances, I hardly see that we have a choice, Rebekah." Elijah stated coldly.

She sighed. "I don't know why I bother. You two will just do what you want anyway."

"No. Our decision must be unanimous." He shook his head, while Klaus scoffed.

"This is not a democracy."

"You're quite right. This is family." Suddenly silence fell among them as powerful rain began to beat upon the windows of the living room, the tell tale signs of a thunderstorm were now ringing throughout the French Quarter. "Water. The next sign's begun. Rebekah?"

She sighed defeatedly, knowing this was their only option. "Kill a demon today, face the devil tomorrow. Count me in."

"Well, this is no family reunion without our mother. I'll fetch her" Klaus chuckled before making his way to the basement.