[ The Fight ]

CHAPTER 37 [ New Orleans, 2012 ]

CHAPTER 37
[ New Orleans, 2012 ]

Marcel and Klaus had been chatting, drinking and playing Go for a while now. Both felt comfort in the presence of one another despite the horrific rumours that were swirling around the streets of New Orleans and their rocky period prior to Klaus' hiding. The main topic of conversation was focused upon the wolf problem, and how they would deal with it. "The wolves have the numbers. Back in 1925, the Guerrera pack was maybe a hundred. We went guerrilla warfare on their asses and wiped them out over a four day fight."

Marcel placed a stone on the Go board, looking up as he awaited Klaus' move. "But, we're not just talking about Guerreras now. They've had wolves coming in from packs all over."

Klaus shrugged, making his move. "Well, we don't have to hit them all. Only the twelve with the rings that take me out every full moon."

"Wait, you want to find twelve rings? Go out and chop off the hands of every wolf you find 'til you get what you want! I mean, come on! You taught me that." Marcel chuckled, sitting back in his chair.

But his face fell as he remembered he and Georgia's conversation and as he pieced the puzzle together. "You and Elijah are stalling. Why?"

"Because it's possible they're in possession of something very dangerous to us." Klaus sucked his teeth, he too sitting back in his seat.

Marcels eyes widened up as he realised, a glum look spread across his face. "They have the stake that can kill you."

"It went missing... the night I lost my child. So, it's in play, and the thought of that makes me very nervous. Especially on nights like tonight." Klaus frowned, staring out towards the quickly setting sun.

Marcel raised an eyebrow as the room grew quiet. "Why would you tell me that?"

Klaus smirked. "Depends. Do you have it?"

"Course not. That kind of weapon does me no good. You die, I die, along with every vampire we've ever sired." Marcel shrugged, sitting up.

Klaus nodded, smiling gratefully at his honesty as he reinforced his trust in him. "Well, then, perhaps you'd like to help me get it back? We attack the wolves, tonight, when the moon hits its apex. They won't expect it while I'm weak."

Marcel began to speak but was interrupted by another presence. "Hey, bad news or good news?"

Marcel chuckled, standing up to greet his friend. "Klaus, Joe. Joe, Klaus. Now, you wanna talk Guerreras-- nobody fought harder back in 1925 than Joe, here. Fought so hard he retired into retail. Been keeping the peace ever since, and living right under their noses."

Joe sat down, next to Marcel. Joe let out an exasperated sigh. "Yeah, well, good news is, your order came in this morning. And bad news? I got made. Your friend Davina saved my ass, but what's done is done. So, pour me a drink, and play me a song, because it's gonna be my last."