return to you-johnny (nct)

johnny sighed in disappointment. it was his anniversary. was he supposed to feel excited? was there a reason he didn't? his chest ached in pain, his sides bursting from laying on them too long. blankets were strewn around his body, phone laying restless in his hand, the only part of his body moving was his thumb scrolling through twitter and his eyes scanning the tweets, trying to stop himself from crying endlessly in pain and loneliness.

how many years was he celebrating alone now?

how old had he gotten after all this time?

he counted the years in his head, sighing at the number 28 that appeared in his head. 28 years old and spending his anniversary alone, wanting some company. the 5th year out of 10? had it been that long since he celebrated their decade long relationship? tears started clouding his eyes, johnny throwing his phone down in desperation.

what time was it in america?

johnny groaned at the time on his phone, picking it back up. 4am. he had spent the night awake again in pain instead of shutting his eyes. doing the math, coming to the conclusion that it was 2pm in his home city. would his partner be ready to talk?

he groaned once more, turning off his alarm, leaving his phone on the bed. pulling his covers up, johnny squeezed his eyes shut, trying to fall into painless sleep.

soon the only noise in the room was his labored breathing, trying to stop his unconscious self from crying and loosing his soul even more.

***

johnny woke up a few hours later, his cheeks covered in tears, eyes puffed. he felt like shit. grabbing his almost dead phone, the time 7:30 popping at him, he swallowed shakily, trying to suppress his emotions.

god how he wished he was asleep.

he stepped out of his bed, shakily making his way to the door, throw blanket wrapped around his body. picking a hoodie from off the floor, he entered the common area of the dorm, the loud laughter overwhelming him.

"morning hyung!" haechan said, johnny not reacting. "damn, who put a stick up your ass." "shut your fucking trap haechan." johnny grumbled, yuta pouring the stressed boy a cup of coffee. "are you okay johnny?" jungwoo asked, sneakily stealing a piece of meat from mark's plate. "yep. amazing."

"it's today isn't it." doyoung asked, sipping on tea. johnny stood speechless, placing his cup on the counter, tracing circles around the rim. "johnny?" the boy looked up, tears falling from his eyes, nodding slowly. taeyong walked around the counter, wrapping his arms around the crying boy, the stray tears turning into full sobs. "i miss him so fucking much taeyong! why can't he come see me? i get were both busy but this is the fifth year in a row!" taeyong gave an upset look to taeil, holding tightly onto the sobbing boy, rubbing circles on his back.

the dorm was silent, the only noises being johnny's continuous sobs and the quiet shushing from the leader. johnny's tears slowed down, wiping his face. "i'm sorry." his voice quivered, emotionally drained. "it's okay john. go back to your room and i'll bring you breakfast and coffee." johnny weakly smiled, walking back into his room, weak sobs echoing from behind his closed door.

"i feel bad for him." jaehyun said, yuta nodding with him. "i'll be right back. we should let him skip practice." taeyong said, picking up the plate and cup and walking to johnny's room.

"wait, what's wrong with johnny?" mark asked, doyoung rubbing his forehead, confused how he was so behind.

***

m/n felt bad.

he had just landed from a 16-hour flight to seoul from his home city, wanting to surprise his boyfriend, not even letting his members know. he pulled out his phone, dialing taeyong's number as he walked to customs.