Chapter 3

Hope

I'm at the store picking up a few things for the cookout for Thanksgiving at Mom and Dad's today. Faith convinced me to go with her. I don't have a problem with seeing them; it's just that work and sex take all my time. I actually miss my parents since Faith, and I moved out three years ago at 18.

Faith decided to go to college while I did not. I didn't see the point in it when I had enough money to start up my own business since my dad showed me how to invest at 17 like her grandfather did her.

I grab a few things for the party and also some stuff for my condo. My twin and I decided not to share homes because our lifestyles are completely different. She got tied down at a young age because she got pregnant with Grayson, who is 2 years old now. On the other hand, I keep my willy wrapped, so I don't make the same mistake.

As I'm walking through the aisles, I see a little girl, who looks to be about 5 years old, by herself. She has short wavy hair and big brown eyes. She looks pretty familiar, but I can't put my finger on whether I have seen her before or not. I stand there for a minute, watching her reach for a box of Cocoa Pebbles cereal. She can't get it, and it's pretty comical to watch.

I walk over to her and grab the last box. She smiles at me and is about to say thank you before I toss it into my basket and walk away.

"Hey, Lady! I was going to get that," she screams at me, and I turn around to face her. She is a little shorter than half my size, and her face is scrunched up in anger.

It would be cute if I liked kids... but I don't. "Sorry, got to it first."

"Actually, I was there first, but I just couldn't reach it," she crosses her arms.

"Oh well, grow a few inches then."

"Please, they're my favorite," she pouts.

I think about it for a second. "Nah, they're my favorites too. Where are your parents anyway, little crotch goblin?"

"I'm not a crot..."

"Mani!" I hear a woman yelling across the store, and I swear I've heard that voice before.

"Over here, Ma!" The little spawn yells back.

A woman comes around the corner, and instantly I remember who the little girl looks like. "There you are. I've been looking all over for you. Oh... Hello again," the woman says, smiling at me.

Even though I've seen her smile before and didn't have these weird thoughts previously, my mind thinks it's cute this time. I attempt to push the thought out of my head because this is not how I think. I'm not into feelings or compliments. Plus, the fact that this woman has a child is a huge red flag.

"Uhhh, are you okay, lady? You look like you're spazzing out," the little girl snaps me out of my daze, and I just nod at them with a straight face.

I look at the woman who sat at my bar all night moping around. "Hi, Bambi." I look at her daughter, "Hi, little Bambi."

The little girl balls up her fist and starts walking toward me. She points her finger in my face, "Look here, lady, I don't know why you keep calling me different names, but I will kick you in the shin if you don't stop and give me back my cer..."