Chapter 31

Lucy

It's Saturday, and the clock just struck 7:30 pm. Evelyn and I have a date at 8. I have no idea where we are going, but I have been waiting all week for this.

I didn't mean to blow up on her a few weeks back, I just... I was obsessed with Hope. Even though she treated me like shit, actually, she treated everyone like shit. Evie was right. It was time to get over her. I can't lie; seeing her with Iris pissed me off. I never had a chance with her. Honestly, with anyone.

Nobody likes a chunky girl that wears her weight on her sleeves. People assume we are unhealthy or something. Tell us we need to work out, or lose weight, or stop eating all that junk food. They don't see that we are human beings just like them, and sometimes it's just genetics that makes us like this. I like my weight. I think I'm beautiful. That is all that matters.

Liking Evelyn is scary for me because I've only been a hit it, and quit it one-nighter for anyone. No one ever took a second glance at me or thought of me as more. I honestly find it weird that she might want more, but I won't get my hopes up.

I glance in the mirror and fix my floral dress. I curled my hair so my wavy locks ran down my chest. Let's pray I'm not too overdressed. Or underdressed. I wouldn't be surprised if she cancels at the last minute because of work. I believe I know what I'm getting myself into trying to start whatever this is. She's busy all the time, but I'm not a needy girl... At least, that's what I tell myself. Hope was the only one I hung around, but it was because I had a crush on her for the longest. But that's over now. Those feelings are squished. I want to move on. With Evie... I think.

There's a knock at my apartment door, and I take a deep breath before opening it. Evelyn stands in front of me. Her blonde hair pressed straight. Light makeup, which she doesn't need. Her lips are plumped and pink. She is wearing a blue woman's suit with loafers.

She looks sexy. I've only ever seen her in her white doctor's coat. Well, that's a lie. She's come to the club many times before not dressed in work clothes... but we've already established my eyes were glued to someone else. My gaze travels over her outfit until it reaches her face again.

"Wow... Lucy.... you look stunning." My cheeks flush with heat, and I know my face is red.

"Thank you, so do you." My voice is high-pitched, almost as if I'm nervous. I'm not nervous. I've known Evie for, like... ever. Why would I be nervous? We're great friends. Friends going on a ... friendship outing. Right?

She clears her throat. "Um, okay, are you ready to go?" I smile and nod. Damn Lucinda, you can't talk now? Cat got your tongue?  She reaches her hand out, and I stare at it. I want to hold it. Shit, my palms are sweaty.

"Um... you don't have to hold it. I'm sorry. I just thought that maybe..." I cut her off by taking her hand. She rambles out loud a lot. It's cute. But I wish I was more like that. Instead of rumbling out loud, I ramble in my head. And then people think the opposite of what I'm battling in my head. I want to hold her hand... so I just grab it. I hope she can't feel my sweat.

Her hand is soft. I didn't expect that. She works so much that I thought they'd be coarse and rough from all the paperwork she's been sorting out. Maybe even a paper cut here or there.

We walk to the elevator and get inside. The door closes. And her grip is tight on my hand. It's just us and the elevator music.

"You..." "I..." We both start talking simultaneously and giggling.

"I'm sorry you first," she says.

"I was just going to say you look beautiful... and I'm glad you could pencil me in" Her smile reaches her ears, and butterflies are released from within it.