Chapter 23

Teagan

The aroma of cooked sausage fills the small kitchen as I carefully flip the last piece onto the plate and switch off the stove. Grayson, with his large, innocent eyes, speaks up in a polite tone rather than his usual demanding one. "Food, please?" He tilts his head and raises his eyebrows as if questioning whether he asked correctly.

A warm smile spreads across my face as I nod and bring the plate of food to him. "Here you go, little man." I cut up his sausage into bite-sized pieces, and he starts to eat. I watch as he attempts to use his toddler fork, only to grow frustrated and resort to grabbing the food with his hands instead.

Once we're both done eating, I take Grayson to the bathroom for his bath. He's always had mixed feelings about bath time – despising water in his eyes, yet unable to resist splashing around. I lean against the edge of the tub with my arms crossed, my heart swelling with love and admiration for this baby boy before me. I find myself wondering what it would be like to have two Graysons around.

Although he isn't my biological son, I love him as if he were. He's spent so much time with me that his features are starting to resemble mine, leading people to assume he's mine when we're out at the park or the store. A part of me wishes he were truly my son and that Faith had never been with George. The memory of his mistreatment of them still causes a dull ache in my chest. I should've stepped in to protect her sooner.

"Hmmm," Grayson hums, attempting to hand me his yellow rubber ducky. As I reach for it, he playfully snatches it away and puckers up his lips. "But I want the toy," I tease him.

"Tiss!" he demands, tapping his little lips. I can't help but smile as I lean in to give him a quick peck before he finally hands me the ducky. I give it a squeak, and he erupts into a fit of giggles.

Faith is still asleep, and our relationship is not entirely back on solid ground. I know the rift between us is my fault. I was quick to judge the situation and ignored her for weeks. A part of me wishes I had just been there for her and talked with her about whether she even wanted to have a baby. The timing might not have been right for her, having just gone through a divorce with Grayson's father and regaining control over her body, only to have it change all over again with this new pregnancy.

Grayson banging his toy against the side of the tub pulls me from my thoughts. I finish washing him, dry him off, and dress him in a green onesie and dinosaur-patterned pants. I then place him in his playpen in front of the TV and grab the baby monitor.

After making sure he has many toys and is comfortable, I return to the bathroom to prepare a relaxing bath for Faith. I fill the tub with steaming hot water and add a few drops of rosemary essential oil along with some bubbles. Lighting a few candles around the tub, I also grab the bowl of fresh fruit I'd prepared earlier – strawberries, blueberries, bananas, and her favorite, kiwi. I've never been a fan of kiwi myself, but I know she loves it.

Once the tub is full, I check on Grayson one last time before making my way to the bedroom, where Faith is still sound asleep. I place the baby monitor on the nightstand and gently crawl under the blanket, spooning her from behind. "Good morning, beautiful," I whisper, pressing a tender kiss to her shoulder.

She groans adorably and rolls over, burying her face into the crook of my neck as she wraps her arms tightly around my waist. I smile at her clinginess and gently lift her chin toward me. Her eyes remain shut, so I decide to tease her with a series of light pecks on her lips.

She groans again, trying to move her face away from me. "Baby, nooo," she murmurs groggily, attempting to cover my mouth with her hand. I chuckle, moving her hand aside and continuing to shower her face with playful kisses.