Chapter 19

Teagan

I finished buttoning my pants and rolling my sleeves, pausing momentarily to look into the mirror. My eyes were still red from crying, and I could feel the weight of the necklace Faith had given me, now tucked beneath my sweater. I gently pulled it out and held it in my hand, heaving a heavy sigh. The cold metal seemed to mock me, a reminder of how I had let her down.

My eyes welled up as I thought about the unanswered text messages I had sent her. I knew I was in the wrong; Ignoring her for weeks was excessive, I knew that, and there was no excuse. I just want her to talk to me, but I also understood that she needs time, just like I had.

Mom and Mama are driving us to Faith's parent's house for Christmas, and the whole family will be there. The anticipation makes my stomach twist in knots. With a final glance at the mirror, I tie my shoes and leave my room, heading towards the kitchen.

"Hi, baby girl," Mommy Adelaide greeted me warmly.

"Hey, munchkin," Mama Macy chimed in.

"Hi, Mommy, Mama," I reply walking to the fridge and grabbing a bottle of water. It always feels strangely empty in the house, just the three of us, since my siblings all moved out.

"Are we ever going to talk about the elephant in the room?" Mom asks, her voice gentle but firm.

I sit on the kitchen island's stool, sipping my water. "What elephant?" I try to play it off, but they both lean against the counter, crossing their arms and exchanging knowing looks.

I roll my eyes and let out a frustrated sigh. "Fine... What do you want to talk about?"

"How about you just tell us the truth, Teagan? We won't judge you, you know that," Mama says softly.

I take a deep breath, feeling a lump forming in my throat. "Faith and I are dating... Or were dating. I don't know what we are anymore." The corners of their mouths turn up into small grins as if they have been waiting for this moment.

"Stop looking at me like that. I know you guys already knew; I was just nervous to tell you... I thought you might think it wasn't right for us to be together."

"Why would we think that?" Mommy asks, her voice full of genuine confusion.

"Teagan, you guys aren't blood-related at all. You know that. You also know we just want you to be happy," Mama reassures me.

"Yeah... well, I'm not happy right now. I screwed up," I admit, my voice cracking. I hear Mama snickering, and I look her way, puzzled.

"I heard," she states, her eyes softening. "I was at the hospital when Faith came in. She told me what happened."

"Of course she did. Is she okay, at least?" Mama nods, her arms uncrossing. I sigh, feeling a fresh wave of guilt wash over me.

"Teagan, fix this," her voice is stern but full of concern.

"What do you think I'm doing, Mama? I'm trying," I protest, my frustration growing.

"Well, try harder. She needs you."

I stare at her, confused. "Why? What happened?"

Mama raises her hands defensively and starts to walk away. "I can't tell you, Teagan. It's not my place."

"Mom?" I ask, turning to my other Mother for answers.

She does the same as Mama, offering an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry, baby girl. It's not our place to tell you." She leans in to tenderly kiss my forehead. "Now, get your things. We're leaving to go to your auntie's house."