Sympathy For The Devil

I got up around nine thirty. I went into the kitchen, and found Sam sitting at the table with the folder about the case out, the contents spread in front of him. "Have you been up all night?" I asked.
"Oh." He said, looking up. "No, I haven't. I just got up. Did I wake you?"
"No. Did you eat?"
"Not hungry."
"Nor am I, but you need to eat to keep your strength up. Keep up your strength." I amended.
"What?"
"I was correcting myself. Prepositions don't go at the end of sentences. What do y'all normally eat?" Damn it. Talking Southern is a hard habit to break. I won't correct myself out loud again, though. They'll think I'm crazy.
"Whatever's in gas station food."
"How do you like pancakes?"
"We love pancakes." He smiled.
While the pancakes were cooking, I talked to Sam.
"My girlfriend died in the exact same way as my mom." He said suddenly. "And my dad died a few months ago."
"Yeah, I heard. I'm so sorry. That must be tough."
"Nah. I'm okay. I guess." Then he looked up at me and blinked, confused. "I don't know why I told you that. I'm sorry."
"It's okay." I smiled gently. "Sometimes you just need to get stuff off your chest."
"Yeah." He said softly. "Thanks."
"You're welcome."
"Is that your family?" He asked, gesturing to a picture I had on the coffee table.
"Sure."
"Sure?"
"Yeah, it's my family." I said. "I have better friends."
"When it comes down to it, family's all you've got."
"Yeah." Unless they think you're a freak who's responsible for the death of someone they love and don't even notice when you run away, that is.
"Dean doesn't believe in having friends." Sam said. "He's completely antisocial."
"Maybe he just doesn't like having to hide everything from them and leaving them. I don't."
"Then why do you?"
"I told them I moved and that I'm writing a book."
"That's not a bad idea."
"You must have friends. You went to school, right?" He nodded. "You probably have a lot of friends."
He shrugged. "I have some."
I'll take that as being humble. He's so nice; he must have a lot.
Just as the pancakes finished, Dean came in, stretching. "Ready to kick some vampire ass?" He paused. "Is that pancakes?"
"You're just in time."
"Where'd you learn to make this?" Dean asked as we started eating.
"My grandma taught me."
When they weren't looking, I got up to throw my plate away, sheltering it from their view, just in case they cared enough to stop me.
"That can't be all you eat." Dean said. "Come back here."
Sighing to myself, I said, "I'm just getting more syrup."
"Oh, sorry."
Yeah, me too.
As I passed the trash can, I pushed some of my pancake inside. Oops. My bad. I sat back down.
"You have a car?"
"I rent one when I move. My old one got totaled by a demon and I didn't bother fixing it or getting another."
"That happened to mine. I fixed it. If I ever meet that son of a bitch, I'll kill him."
"He loves his car." Sam explained.
"I guess we'll be taking my car, then. Ready?"
We all stood up and filed after him.
Dean held his keys out to me. "Wanna drive?"
Sam had a gun pointed at his head before I knew what was happening. "What the hell are you? Where's my brother?"
"You're about to shoot him! Put the gun down, Sammy." Dean held up his hands.
"Guys, we aren't the only people here! Someone'll call the cops. Put that thing away. Or take it inside," I added, unsure if he would put it down. I don't know what the hell is going on.
"Funky town." Dean said, and Sam put the gun down.
"Okay. Let's go." Sam said, opening the door and looking at me expectantly.
Well. Holding a gun at someone's head really builds a relationship, huh?
"I'll take the back. Thanks though." I started to the car. By the time I got there, he had opened that door too. "Thanks." I said, trying not to grit my teeth. I can open my own door, believe it or not. I started to reach out to shut it, but he shut it. I can open and shut my own door, guys. I'm not three, dammit.
I gave them directions to the nest. When we got there, the house was empty. We checked inside, but there was no one.
"I told you so!" Dean said triumphantly.
"Well, they don't want to leave this town, obviously. There's another abandoned house ten miles from here." I said, ignoring Dean's smart ass comment.
"Why?" Sam asked.
"They left me a friendly little note telling me to back off."
"In human blood on her bedroom wall." Dean added.
"Nobody felt the need to tell me this?"
"I didn't want to put any more pressure on you, Sammy."
Sam rolled his eyes and sat back in his seat.
"Sorry." I said. "I expected him to tell you."
"Yeah, me too."
"Sorry."