Chapter 38 : The Power Of Love? (2)

We were in the salon on the second floor where I spoke with Gerald last time.

I went near the piano and sat down. I didn't have the confidence to face him like before. At this distance, I thought that Gerard would listen to me calmly. He came in and took a seat by the door.

"I apologize. I was selfish."

Gerard folded his arms at my words. Then he looked at me with his back buried deep on the sofa.

"I was irresponsible to Theodor, the Shlezen household, and also to you."

"If you know, then leave. Before there are any more attachments."

I must be the very first person Theodor got attached to. It would be too cruel to cut off such first love like this.

"When the curse of Theodor is lifted and he's ready to let me go, then I will leave."

But Gerard didn't answer.

"Of course, if you have someone you love, I will actively support you. To make Theo like them. But if they abuse Theo, I will protect him."

I said the last part with Molli in mind. Gerard frowned.

"Why do you care so much about the grand prince?"

"Because he looks lonely."

"...!"

"I want him to know a lot of fun and amazing things."

"Why is that?"

"I was alone, too. People don't know how hard it is to be alone," I said, recalling the memories of the abuse Sinclair had suffered. If she hadn't been abused, if she had had at least one person to listen to her, she wouldn't have been so diligent in carrying out the orders of the Owens and the emperor.

"I have a question for you."

"...?"

"You... you didn't try to get a divorce because you had a man you loved?"

"Pardon?" I looked at him startled. "A man?"

I hit my forehead with one hand.

"Oh gosh. Did you think that I asked for a divorce because I had a person I love?"

"I did."

"Ha... Are you perhaps a philanthropist?"

"...?"

"We have an arranged marriage. Isn't it impossible for aristocratic society to divorce someone just because they love someone else?"

At my words, Gerard coughed.

"I'm not a philanthropist, I'm a perfectionist. To be my wife there must be no other man next to her."

"Ah..."

'What's that? Does that mean that even if you have another woman, I can't? Seems like a losing business? Well, now is not the time to ask that.'

"I understand. I won't mind another man until I am divorced."

"Good."

Gerard tried to get up.

"But uum... I'm just curious. Do you know that a person's love for someone is not created or lost just by trying hard, right?"

"...?"

"No, I mean, I will try my best not to fall in love with any man, but if, hypothetically, I like someone. I was wondering if you could close your eyes on that."