Chapter 6: Chapter Six

Take It Off, Ma'am

Woah!

The exclamation erupted from my mouth because petals fell from the castle tower.

In addition, white ribbons congratulating the Grand Duke's wedding swayed in the wind from the branches of the long roadside trees.

This deviation from the book gave me a strange feeling.

Demonic beasts and demons from the Demon Realm ran on the wide-field by the river. And the eerie and terrifying scenes, described as the den of evil that I imagined while reading the book, disappeared in an instant.

Beautiful poplar, acacia, and wisteria flowers bloomed alongside the road, splendidly welcoming the carriage procession. In addition, small irises and peonies were blooming under the trees.

The chorus of buzzing bees, the sweetly fragrant smell of flowers, and the petals falling into the carriage enchanted me, body and soul.

In addition, the wide-field was shining brilliantly in the dying afternoon sunlight. Beyond the river in the distance, the Demon Realm made the natural scenery beautiful like a demilitarized zone.

tl-n: A demilitarized zone (DMZ) is an area in which treaties or agreements between nations, military powers, or contending groups forbid military installations, activities, or personnel.

The windmills on the low hills, the partially submerged watermills in the river, and the quaintly modest homes were creating an idyllic landscape.

The strong smell of cow dung from the field wafted through the wagon.

This place was still inhabited.

After driving for another two hours, I saw the Archduke's residence, Shlezen Castle, in the distance. It was magnificent. It was a blessed fortress built with large and strong bricks.

[Stretching from the territory to the river, the one-way road lay on a hexagonal island with a pointed end, so it was closer to the Demon Realm than any other area in the Viatria Empire.]

The tall watchtower displayed soot in the place of each weapon hole, lingering evidence of the battle against the Demon Realm.

I could sense the determination to protect the Empire at the forefront. The Castle was built on the land protruding across the river toward the Demon Realm, which once occupied the area, and served as the outpost for the Conquest of the Demon Realm.

It was a place closer to the Demon Realm than any other region in the Viatria Empire.

As if their purpose was to symbolize the fierce war they fought and commemorate the defeat of the Demon Realm, soot remained in the cannons of the mana-stone constructed Shlezen Castle.

Gerard's father, Julius, conquered this place and fought head-to-head with the denizens of the area called the Demon Realm. He was really popular and loved by the people.

But there were no children to succeed him. He handed over the throne to his younger brother without regret and fought for the safety and future of the Empire on the land of Karikas, which was formerly the Demon Realm.

Most of the people of this territory were the families and children of the knights who conquered the Demon Realm.

The late Emperor Julius cherished and loved the people who willingly followed him to this territory as family. Because they were loyalists who risked everything for the safety and future of the Empire...

The Estate residents also had a different sense of pride and self-esteem compared to other regions. Because it was thanks to them that the peace of the empire continued.