Chapter 20:Did Husband Do All This, By Any Chance?

Chapter 20 – Did Husband Do All This, By Any Chance?

"Keeeiik!"

Tok, tok, tok.

'Why do these birds fall on me instead of poking me with their pointed snouts?' Some even fell on my side. 'I'm not too old to kick them with my feet, right?'

However, Sinclair's slender neck and spine were too weak to bear the weight of monster birds five times that of Theodor's and three times my own body. I smiled at Theodor, telling him it was okay and he shouldn't be scared. For a moment, I grasped a small hope that I might be able to live because I was Sinclair, not Kang Joo-hee.

Sinclair is the daughter of a witch. Even when her brother and father tried to kill her, she didn't die. But soon 'Hiiik!' The burning pain in my back covered my whole body.

"Ha."

My flesh seemed to melt. The opponent was not a human being. Even if I have an incredible regenerative ability after being stabbed by a human or surviving a poison —created by humans— I was not sure I would survive the monstrous digestive enzymes of a devil beast. Just like Sinclair couldn't survive Theodor's ripping her body apart and burning it down.

Even when I was drowning in the fear of death, hot and squishy things constantly hit my back with a roaring noise.

'Damn, if you want to kill me, just kill me in one shot!'

'Why are these heavy things trying to melt me and cover me ​​with dirty bile and crush me?'

Nevertheless, it was bearable. Suddenly, the surroundings became dark. 'How many of them have come?'

'Wouldn't the Shlezen Castle be in danger with so many monsters in the forest?' Or is it that these beasts don't recklessly cross into the human world?'

'If I remember correctly, monsters only appeared in the novel when Theodor emerged as the demon King, right?'

It was strange...

This was the human world ruled by Gerard, and it wasn't a place where monsters could run wild like this.

"Stepmother."

Theodor's tender hands came through the vines and tried to touch me.

"It's okay, Theo. Just wait a bit more."

I winked that I was fine. Theodor wiped the sweat from my forehead and head with his small hand. My legs and arms were shaking, but I didn't want to make the child nervous.

"Don't worry. I'll take you out of there soon."

Theodor nodded, his eyes full of trust.

After a while, the dull vibration of bumping into my body stopped. 'Is it over?' I shook my back a little to shake off the filth that was stuck on my body.

RRMMRROARR!

Huge bodies slipped sideways making loud noises. Enveloped in a musty stench, my body felt like I was inside a dirty monster jelly. And suddenly, a monster bird spread its massive beak to have my head for a between-meal snack.

Reflexively, I raised the guard and threw a jab.

Tuk! The foul fowl faltered and fell to the floor.

'What? How can it be this easy?' I lowered my head and looked down at the monster bird, but, well, it was a head without a body.

'What? Why are they dying? Weren't you trying to kill us?' As I looked around, I could see the monster birds were all dead.

'Huh, what is this?' I was puzzled standing in front of a pile of dead birds. I roughly shook away all the dead monsters that were crushing me. A cold wind blew past my back. Except for the vines that supported me and Theodor, dead monster birds surrounded us like we were the center of a krispy kreep donut. It was like the Oreum in Jeju Island. As I pondered how to escape the ring of dead birds, I fell on my butt due to surprise.