24. Fate

She took a long minute to herself in the bathroom

She took a long minute to herself in the bathroom. Splashing ice-cold water on her searing cheeks in an attempt to take herself out of the destructive headspace she was in. Her hands and fingers gripped against the sink's porcelain countertop, keeping her eyes closed as she counted numbers, slightly swaying back and forth on her heels.

Her teeth sunk deep into her lower lip when she thought about how easily she gave in to leaving the party when she promised herself she would try and change.

How am I to change if I still fear his presence? Hanni quietly asked herself, wiping away the tears that trickled passed her cheeks.

There was a knock at the door causing her body to stiffen at the sudden noise.

"Hey, are you okay in there?" Jen's voice was hushed against the door.

Hanni waited a moment, the lump in her throat preventing her from speaking.

"Y-Yeah," Her voice was hoarse, clearing her throat. "Yes, I'm okay. Just needed a minute." She shut the running water off, grabbing a hand towel to dry off her damp face.

She opened the door, greeted by Jen, who wore a disquieted expression she tried to mask behind a small grin.

"Just making sure." She muttered with a contrite frown, eyeing her friend to make sure she truly was okay. "The boys want to stay here tonight."

"Isn't their apartment like five feet away from ours?" Hanni asked, shutting the door behind her.

"Yeah, and that's what I told them. But, they said they would rather stay here." She sighed, looking over at her bedroom door. "Jimin will sleep with me, Taehyung said he's fine sleeping on the recliner... Jeongguk can sleep with you?" Jen suggested, raising her eyebrows.

Hanni's expression turned solid, her eyebrows drilled together. "Are you just suggesting this? I don't think he'd be comfortable sleeping in my room. I wouldn't want to force him to sleep with me if he isn't comfortable with it."

"It was just a suggestion." She put her hands up defensively, frightened she struck a nerve. "He said he was okay sleeping on the couch, anyways."

"Good, then he can sleep on the couch." Hanni settled on that before excusing herself from their brief conversation.

She made her way to her room, wanting to sleep the night away for good.

She carefully stepped into her sacred space, shutting the door behind her.

A smile crept on her lips when she saw that Jeongguk was still in her room, observing the items she kept on her desk.

"I thought you'd be gone by the time I came back," Hanni murmured, walking to the edge of her bed.

"No, well you told me to wait for you. So I did." He reminded her, looking back down at the photos on her desk.

Her smile gradually ebbed when she realized he was looking at the pictures she left of her and Namjoon.