41. Closer than ever

It was difficult to focus

It was difficult to focus. Challenging to cling to the words of knowledge he spoke when he was resplendent in complete charisma — the clean smell of his shampoo exuded through his hair, intoxicating her senses further. He rolled his tongue against the ring that clung to his lip, his eyes scanning over the textbook before him, reading through the latest lesson in their physics course.

He hummed, looking up from his textbook. He immediately apologized with a soft smile when he realized that Hanni was simply gazing upon his features, which were now red, doused in embarrassment.

"S-sorry, I didn't realize you were waiting on me." He murmured, turning the pages of his textbook. "We could do some practice questions, if you'd like? The exam won't be coming up until next Friday, so we do have time to go at a slow pace." He coherently estimated.

Hanni nodded, snapping out of the zone she wound up in. "Yeah, we could do that." She agreed.

"By the way, how do you think you did on todays game?" Hanni inquired, doodling on the margins.

He put his pen down, almost as if he was already prepared to rant about it. "It was weird— I mean, I felt really confident today, and even during the game."

She paused, processing his statement, and trying to see how exactly he found that so weird.

He seemed to read her perplexity. "Usually, during the game, I get some sort of feeling in my gut, like I'm worried or nervous to get it all over with," he further explained, "this time, I was really excited. I'm glad our team took today's victory."

"I don't think that's weird. I think it's great, it's good to be confident, right?" Hanni questioned, her head tilted.

"It is. Maybe it's just because I'm more confident in Hoseok, and I know he's trying his best as a captain." Jeongguk thought to himself. "And you." He looked over at her, giving her a sweet smile, leaving a small kiss on her cheek.

Hanni laughed, flustered by his kiss. "What do you mean? Why me? Do you hear how loud I cheer for you?"

He chuckled, "No. I can't really hear much, not when I'm too focused on the game. But I do appreciate the cheers. No, I mean you just being there... it helps me a lot."

"Like I have extra support." He continued, wearing a blissful grin. "It's nice knowing that If I were to look up, I would see you there in the stands, cheering for me."

Hanni blushed, wearing a tight smile. "I'm glad it helps. You know it's not easy sitting up there with the sun in my face."

He laughed, acknowledging that. "Oh, I know. I appreciate you putting up with it for me."

"Of course." She nodded once, simply happy that her presence gave him more confidence.

"What about you?" He asked, placing his fist over his cheek.