43. The four paintings

She was running late

Conversations with her mother dragged on longer than she had anticipated — only expecting the two of them to hold a maximum forty-five-minute conversation. However, their discussion was prolonged to nearly an hour and a half longer. She received a few messages from Jeongguk, ones that curiously asked if she were on her way to the art gallery yet. Or if she was still in a tethered conversation with Sooah.

She felt guilty for promising him that she would be one of the first individuals there, and now, she was likely one of the last — running from the parking lot and into the museum.

She held her breath,  preparing her quiet self when she entered the large building. She would rarely visit these museums, but she assumed inside voices were presumably used and preferred. The first thing she did was search for Jeongguk, scanning all the strange and unfamiliar faces that were in the building.

And yet, out of the plethora of people that were swimming over each other, not one of them was Jeongguk.

Her phone began to buzz in her pocket, and she quickly got ahold of it.

"Jeongguk? Hello?" She spoke into the phone, reading his contact name before picking up the call.

"Hey, just wanted to let you know, I'm in the cafe." He informed.

She paused, searching for a cafe. "T-there's a cafe here?" She stepped forward, her walk tentative and stringent.

"Yes, it's up on the third floor," he informed, his voice slightly cutting off. "There's an elevator at the very end of the building, you can take it up here."

She began to search for an elevator, walking slowly, eyes and head moving to see beyond the people that were crowded on the first floor.

"God, there's so many people here." She muttered to herself, completely forgetting that she was still on the phone with Jeongguk.

He chuckled. "Yeah, that's why I came early."

Her heart burned, leaving behind that bitter taste of rue on the tip of her tongue. "I know. I'm sorry. I should have came earlier."

"Hanni, don't worry about it." Jeongguk consoled. "I'll meet you up here." He said once more.

"Okay... I'll see you." She muttered, letting him be the one to end their call.

She wasted no more time, getting into the elevator and jabbing the number three until the doors closed tightly together, blocking out all the overt conversations the individuals were having on the very first floor. Which, by her assumptions, was only the lobby. She hoped that, wherever Jeongguk's artwork was, it was on a floor that was quiet and allowed her to depict his work.

The elevator dinged, and the doors slowly opened, demonstrating a comfortable lounge area. It must have been a relatively popular location if they had a section for people to relax, and merely exist.