26. Destress

The pencil in her hand scribbled over the margins of her notebook, her mind millions of miles away from her dining area in her apartment

The pencil in her hand scribbled over the margins of her notebook, her mind millions of miles away from her dining area in her apartment. Hanni was caught in an everlasting spiral of painstaking reflection. She mostly thought about what had happened a few days prior, with her mother showing up at her door.

How she would no longer fund her housing. That would mean she would need to find a way to pay for the funds herself. Meaning, she would need to work.

Hanni grumbled at that abhorrent thought, how was she going to be a full-time student and somehow find time to work? Working at locations on campus was always an option, but did she really want to risk the chance of running into people she knew? Like Namjoon.

She shuddered, shaking her head as she dropped it into the palm of her hand.

There was always a possibility that her mom was just trying to intimidate her into acting right. However, she could not remember a time in her life when her mother said something in promise and never did it.

The entire debacle added more unnecessary stress onto Hanni's already teeming plate. She was still humiliated by every minuscule detail, how her mother thought she had the liberty to force herself into the apartment at such an early hour and continue to chastise Hanni in front of her friends as if she was some fifteen-year-old teenage girl.

It was difficult for her to look into Jeongguk's eyes, something in her told her that she should be downright ashamed of everything. She kept that perverse thought to herself, the last thing she wanted to do was create an uncomfortable situation between her and Jeongguk.

"Alright, sorry if I took a while." A voice invaded her thoughts, breaking the clean silence. "I didn't mean to keep you waiting." Jeongguk apologized, sitting in the chair beside Hanni.

"No, it's okay. You didn't take long at all, actually." Hanni reassured him with a smile, putting a hand over her futile doodles.

"Did you end up finishing while I was gone?" He asked, taking a peek at her paper.

"Yeah, here you can go over them." She handed him her completed work.

He took one quick look at her paper, chuckling to himself. "I see I did take a while, you drew all over your paper."

"No, that's not why." Hanni toyed with her pencil. "I was just lost in thought, and my hand kinda just started drawing random stuff."

"What is it that you're thinking about?" He continued to ask, grading her answers as she spoke.

Hanni hummed, hesitant. "Just... everything."

"Everything that happened." He assumed, fiddling his pen between his index and middle finger.

His voice was gruff as his attention was split between physics and Hanni's concerns.

"Yeah," she sighed, almost relieved she didn't have to elaborate on the ornate — and humiliating — details. "I was just thinking... How the hell am I supposed to pay for housing? I would have to get a job which sounds insane to me because I'm a full-time student."