38. Overanalyze

Hanni sat quietly in the passenger seat, keeping her hands glued together by her sweat as she blankly stared out the tinted window, chewing the inside of her cheek, anxiously

Hanni sat quietly in the passenger seat, keeping her hands glued together by her sweat as she blankly stared out the tinted window, chewing the inside of her cheek, anxiously. Silence doused her like suffocating ocean waves that incessantly pelted over her dehydrated body.

She fretted that if she spoke, a contentious discussion would arouse.

Hanni caught sight of Jeongguk — though he appeared calm and collected, she had a feeling that he was simply wearing a disguise. Concealing his true emotions. His behavior cried out in anger, he refused to say it, but she caught a glimpse of the little things. How he gripped the steering wheel with both hands. His white knuckles poked through the skin, his eyes focused on the road in front of him, jaw tense and grounded as if to stop himself from speaking and saying something he would likely regret.

She was afraid she was the reason for his percolating anger.

Everything was always her fault. Why wouldn't this be any different?

"I didn't tell you this to upset you." Hanni muttered, having enough of the suffocating silence.

He exhaled, making a slow right turn. "I'm not... upset. Okay, I know I seem upset. I'm just upset at the fact that he thinks he can still come to you when he's at his lowest, and you still comfort him." He said the word comfort as if it left a foul taste in his mouth, his eyebrows pinched together in disgust.

"I didn't comfort him," Hanni established, quoting Jeongguk. "I apologized, yes, but for his mom. Not for anything else. Even when he apologized for all the stuff he did, I didn't accept it. I didn't respond at all, actually." She recalled ignoring Namjoon's apology.

He shook his head. "It still gets under my skin. I don't want you near him anymore."

"But I won't be near him... I'm gonna be with his mom-"

"Why do you even care anymore, Hanni?" Jeongguked asked, laughing incredulously. "I mean seriously, it's Namjoon's fault. It's all his fault. He should man up and tell his mom the truth. He messed up the relationship, and now he has to suffer the consequences. He needs to tell his mom himself. Don't go over there, and pretend like nothing has changed, like you haven't already moved on. Like your relationship with Namjoon was perfect."

"I just feel sorry because-"

"Hanni, that is not your concern anymore. He shouldn't have even reached out to you. He should have told his mom what really happened, now it's just gonna be a mess. You're gonna have to pretend like you're still in love with him, and that you two are happily together." Jeongguk explained coherently.

And Hanni realized how reasonable he was.

Actually, she had these exact thoughts herself. She would feel terrible for lying to Namjoon's mother, deceiving her, and making her believe in a mere fairy tale that her son was in a perfect little relationship with his high school sweetheart.