Chapter 8: A Royal Return I

Tom silently held his bonded's hand; his heart heavy with concern for Hadrian now. He was battered and bruised from that demon's attacks. Paler than normal as his normally shiny and lustrous hair was somehow not as full of life. Wrapped in bandages about his torso as he breathed shallowly.

The courtesans all sitting about the room with him in silence and yearning for their King to wake. The twins even; they were silent to see their Dad like this...probably because they sensed his magic and knew it was not as strong right now as they were used to feeling.

The healer watched them as she continued to work, "King Hadrian was badly wounded from the demon, but he is in no danger to death. He had no need of me or other healers to perform any major medical treatments, and his regenerative magic began working soon after he had fallen unconscious; stopped the bleeding before the shadow-guards arrived here with him."

She smiled as they all turned their eyes to her in hope, "He'll wake soon."

Tom breathed in relief to that as his red eyes showed his happiness; tears quietly made their way to his face, as he then quickly went to wipe them away. He was glad his bonded was okay; that Hadrian would be alright. Yet, disquiet ate him inside; for Tom didn't want this to continually happen like this.

All the courtesans and himself; they could protect themselves. Indulal might not be fully able right now, due to the birth...but the other courtesans could have helped him and let Tom be there beside Hadrian.

But Hadrian...He hadn't wanted him there.

Tom didn't understand why all together; he knew of the most basic reasons, but Hadrian was extremely intelligent and was aware that he could fight or hold his own, so he was arguing with himself about why Hadrian had sent him away too.

"Your thoughts are very loud, mate." Hadrian's voice tiredly spoke in a quiet tone as his green eyes lazily opened with exhaustion to them

Tom snapped his eyes to him, "Hadrian..." His voice sounded almost broken, yet relieved to see him awake.

Hadrian then smiled a bit and hummed, "I am fine. The demons have all been killed; if any remain...they dispersed when the huge one I fought off was killed. Thankfully, the only major damages to the city were the buildings around the square; which will be easy for us to repair and rebuild."

Hadrian then eyed his mate, "Where are the girls? I want to see them; to ensure for myself they're alright?"

Indulal stepped to him and smiled, "They're okay Hadrian; your sense of smell is not yet back to normal; otherwise you'd have noticed them by now. They've been here with me; this whole time."

Hadrian breathed to that and reached his hands out as he slid to sit up; grimacing to the pain in his body for it, but managed. Indulal handed them to Hadrian as he clutched them to his chest and nuzzled their heads as he breathed their scents and scented their magic.

Smiling as tears rolled down his face, "Thank the Mother..." He whispered

Hadrian's tears streamed, "The demon's magic was trying to corrupt other cores; I couldn't let you all stay and be endangered. I couldn't let you all become one of them...Especially not the twins; too young to even know what had happened to them."

Tom started, "Is that...Is that why you sent me away, then? Why you didn't want me to remain to help you?"

Hadrian cradled his bundles and hummed, "Yes. While you do have some of the Peverell heritage; you don't have it's benefits. Not after you tore your soul; Life and Death both would not allow you to have them.

So, the corruption the demon's sowed; they could have returned you back to what you were before without horcruxes. I wasn't taking that chance; I can't lose you, Tom. It would spell the end of me."