Chapter 34: Shifting on Scorching Sands I

Two weeks. Two whole weeks had passed since the lockdown had begun and kept his guests inside his lands. Hadrian, on the outside, was calm and collected to all who observed him whenever in his company. But, the elder wizard who was his mate and all of the courtesans also began to see some tension to his eyes as days passed and his traitor was not uncovered.

He was beginning to show his more aggressive side; the one that was possessive, territorial, and very protective of his bearing mate and his bearing courtesan. He was more of each of these to even the rest of the court; though they were not bearing a child at that time. It was not surprising to them, just concerning due to the level of intensity of the increase.

Hadrian was more reactive to small things; his temper easily sparked and his magic more easily set off to issue warnings about those he surrounded himself with daily. Almost at times unbearably so; seeing as he refused to let his mate or the court to be alone right now. If Hadrian was not with them; then they almost certainly had two or even three of the guards with them. Forced to wait on them if they had need to use the bathroom, and so on.

Tom, at times, was rather exasperated with the vampire's behavior; yet, he too understood it was the vampire's nature as well.

And neither he nor Saka complained too much about the treatment; because it kept Hadrian home with them more often than out and about. It kept his time and his attentions to them and their wants, needs, and more for this duration.

So, it was a surprise; as Hadrian held his daily luncheon for the nobles, foreign guests, and his mate and his court...when a messenger arrived from the new territory of the were-creatures. Hadrian knew they had to have been running on foot to the vampire palace; the portals were locked still. The curious thing; was that the messenger was bearing a new sealed letter for Hadrian alone.

Hadrian took the letter; noting it was one of several newly designed seals to be used for all the leaders of the various species of the shifters, and this one he had to use his magic to break the seal. Meaning the contents were important; very important. He read it carefully as a very cruel, heartless, and blood-thirsty smile appeared on his face as his green eyes began to light with excitement.

He then magicked the scroll of parchment to his office before he stood up after gently sitting his mate on his own cushion. He cleared his throat loudly as all in the audience hall quieted and turned to him.

"Apparently, the traitor has been found." He smirked before his eyes darkened, "They managed to slip out of my lands into another before the lockdown. As is protocol; the ones that have apprehended them have detained them in their lands. I will need to go over to them to see to who it was and determine their fate."

Hadrian eyed his foreign guests, "The portals will be now unlocked; you will be able to return to your homes, families, jobs, and such. But, your visit time is not yet over; I am not forcing you to leave. However, you are not allowed to join me on this trip; it not something I can allow. It is an internal clan affair that has no bearing on the guests."

Hadrian then smiled to his courtesans about the room, "My Court; join me now with mate in the family gardens. There is much to discuss before I must plan to leave for this trip. As for the rest in the hall; enjoy yourselves, partake of my generous food and drink, and mingle for as much as you want.

Know that you are now free of my suspicions." Hadrian told them firmly

He then went to Tom and easily helped him to stand before wrapping his arm to him; all while the courtesans walked to him and smiled with swaying steps that enticed eyes towards them. Even Saka; pregnant as he was, was still garnering looks.

Hadrian smirked at the hall; his eyes flashing with warning and amusement to them as he led them out. Valora stepped to Hadrian, who paused to her.

"Are Kayla and I allowed to see the Family Gardens and to photoshoot them? Since we've already done all the other areas of garden?"