Chapter 13: The Blood-Crimson Ocean

Three months. Three months had now passed since Hadrian had been beneath the ocean and fighting for the survival of the Gem Reef clan along with his own men and women. All of them were tired, exhausted, and battle-weary. All of them yearned to go above the water and go home. Even Proteo was seemingly done with this, but none of them would give up.

But as tired as they all were now; neither Hadrian nor Tom allowed themselves to show it, knowing well that their actions affected the morale of the others. The courtesans tried to follow their example, and only showed their emotions and exhaustion when in privacy with Hadrian, Tom, or the other courtesans.

Their base was now running low again on medicine and the supplies to make them, so Hadrian had sent several men and women to collect ingredients from a fairly safe zone...seeing as they had not been attacked there yet when collecting.

His eyes, however, showed the shadows he had now from many nights where no sleep was obtained. Where feedings had been interrupted for battle or had been left only half-full. Tom tried his best to coax Hadrian to feed more when they had moments, but something always came up suddenly.

Tom knew; he knew part of it was that Hadrian was worried for Indulal and the twins. Not knowing if they might be attacked while here. Tom was concerned too for that possibility, but he did his best to try to assuage the worries and the guilt Hadrian had over it.

Thankfully, Odette had learned a great deal quickly in the time this civil war had gone on, and had taken some of the leadership burdens off of Hadrian.

Hadrian eyed the mer who rushed in with panic to his eyes as he kneeled and bowed his head low to him, "Sire, you're needed immediately in the infirmary. Proteo's been wounded and we can't heal him; Herodes's magic is only barely sufficing this time. He believes you need to heal him with blood-manipulation magic."

Hadrian growled and turned swiftly as he pushed past the mer and ran towards the infirmary ward. His face paling as he saw the state of his Sea Lord and barked at them all to get the hell out of his sight.

Herodes knowing Hadrian hadn't meant to be so caustic to him as well, but knew better than to ignore the order.

Then Hadrian went to him and eyed him sadly as he cradled his face gently and moonstone eyes showed tenderness to him amidst fear.

He coughed, "I'm sorry, Hadrian. They crept up from behind and I didn't sense them in time due to a surge of water nearby."

Hadrian breathed to this and laid his hand to his forehead, "You'll be okay; I won't let you leave me. Not yet, and not if you don't wish to." He told him and then eyed his wounds before looking to Proteo, "But this will take time to heal this way. I cannot say it will be pain-free either."

Proteo coughed more strained as blood filtered up; enough that he leaned to spit it out, and nodded as he tried to smile but the pain was enough already to cause his features to grimace, "I don't want to leave you yet; I don't want to leave this undone. Please Hadrian; let your magic heal me. We both know I will die here if you don't; my body cannot heal this with normal magic."

Moonstone eyes were greying, "Though I am unsure as to why normal healing magic will not work."

Hadrian then nodded silent as he beckoned Herodes back in and then told him to go and get Tapan quickly before returning. Herodes inclined as he ran out and Hadrian gave Proteo several pain-numbing potions, blood-replenishing potions, and ran magic over him to disinfect the injuries as he massaged his throat to help him swallow them. As he gently caressed his fingers over his body to try to relax him.

Tapan entered and hissed with discontent as he saw Proteo like that and eyed Hadrian warily, "Sire?" He asked

Hadrian beckoned Tapan and Herodes over, "He's going to be fine, but I do have to use blood-manipulation magic to close the wounds and seal them. I cannot say he won't feel pain for this, so I need you Tapan to hold his arms down while Herodes holds his tail into place firmly."