Chapter 20: Hadrian's Confession and the Royal Agreements

When Hadrian returned to his villa and apparated into the foyer; he started somewhat as Tom stood there. As if he had been there waiting for his return home; his gaze was pensive and his eyes had a look of hesitation and confliction to them. He eyed Hadrian softly for merely a moment, as he then gazed to where he held Herodes to him; his face devoid of emotions...not making any sort of expression or otherwise. His mind's thoughts hidden from him, but Hadrian suddenly felt dread begin to well inside.

Was his present path already at risk?

"Mate?" Hadrian asked softly

Tom eyed him, "You were gone longer than we all believed you to be after you left to meet with your...patron. I felt our...mating mark go numb during that time, Hadrian. I...I thought I had lost you for good that time and that you had died. I nearly lost it, and if not for the courtesans holding me back; I likely would have tore out of the palace to search for you.

Or rather, your body to bring home for burial...as would have been the case had you died on us all. Provided I didn't go mad from the sensation of our bond snapping and my soul cracking apart like I thought. Every nerve in my body was on fire; screaming in pain for me to do something."

Red eyes looked to the floor a moment and then back to Hadrian, "What happened to you while you were gone, mate mine?" He asked softly

Hadrian breathed a little; maybe his brain was overreacting somewhat.

"I want to tell you and the courtesans; that is why I had you bring them back here for this. I do not need the elders, council, and or the rebellion hearing of this. I also don't need Vanorien skulking about and learning of it; I don't trust that bastard." He growled low as he carded his claws into Herodes's red hair as he slept, "Not after what he did to his brother."

Hadrian sighed, "But I need some time to wash up and to collect my thoughts together."

Tom nodded and watched as Hadrian hesitated, "May I...ask of you for a favor, mate?"

Tom considered and then slowly inclined and Hadrian breathed, "I need you to help Herodes wash and re-dress before you go and fetch him a pepper-up potion and one that will get rid of his sleepiness; this is something he needs to hear from me as all of you do. It will be...hard to listen to, and I don't want to repeat myself more than necessary.

Then gather the rest of the court and have all of you meet me in the garden; the secluded part that is for our family only."

Tom was quiet to this; whatever it was...it was important. Hadrian wouldn't have isolated them off in that area to talk if it wasn't. No one outside Hadrian, himself, all the courtesans or their children could even enter that part of the garden. If Fleur had thought the garden part she had seen before was beautiful; Tom wondered what her reaction to the secluded part would be like.

Seeing as it was not small; it had its own large pool and waterfall combination with a patio and resting furniture. It was surrounded by and also contained a large, vibrant, and diverse amount of flowers. A lot of rare flora was held and cultivated there with all the shrubbery and trees that held the vast number of the soul-containers Hadrian had made from his battles and his harvests after them.

If they were all there at one time; visitors had to wait to be received in another part of the garden or in the house.

Tom smiled softly, "Very well then mate mine, I will do this for you. But...know that I expect answers, so don't take too long."

Hadrian smiled sadly as his eyes looked away from Tom then, "I cannot avoid this for much longer, anyhow."

Tom frowned as his eyes showed concern, "Mate mine?" He asked gently