♥⁠╣⁠[All is fair in Love and War]⁠╠⁠♥

Quackity POV:

Rounding the corner hurriedly, Quackity almost slammed into someone.

Coming face to face with those soft brown eyes, he felt a sudden chill down his spine and stepped back, trying to control his expression.

Wilbur mustn't have seen, because he smiled good-naturedly and spoke. "Woah there, don't barrel me over!"

Quackity opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out.

Seconds ago, the only thing he'd felt was anger. He'd known exactly what he wanted to say to this man.

But now his thoughts failed him, and his anger melted in the shock of seeing him so soon.

"I- sorry." Quackity forced out.

Wilbur raised an eyebrow. "You alright? Still shaken up?" He says sympathetically.

Oh, right, the other attempt on his life. He had all but forgotten about it in all that had happened.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Did you catch them?"

Wilbur frowned and shook his head. "Nah, nowhere to be found." He placed a hand on the prince's shoulder and Quackity tensed. "But don't worry, I've told the guards now, so they'll be searching the castle as we speak. They'll be caught, I promise."

Quackity shrugged him off and nodded. "Right. Thanks. I'm uh, I'm going to my room. I'll see you later." He said as if it were true.

"Ok," Wilbur said softly. "Get some rest."

For a brief second Quackity wished he'd never seen those stupid letters, that he could go back in time and be on that roof with Wilbur again, watching the sun rise.

But that wasn't possible. And it wasn't real.

Wilbur gallantly got out of his way. "Well, I won't block your path any longer your highness." He said, starting to leave. He paused and gave the prince a strange look, but quickly turned away.

Quackitys could have sworn his eyes were glistening.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆☆★☆★☆★

Wilbur POV:

The prince hadn't drunk the wine yet.

He'd been kidding himself to just assume Quackity would drink that wine, especially without a helping hand.

Had he even ever thought he would? Maybe not. Maybe that's why he did it.

Because now Quackity was still very much alive and Wilbur was faced with the reality that he'd have to kill him in person.

It was always going to come to this, really, and he should have realized it sooner.

He thought about going and grabbing the money first but decided against it. He already felt repulsed by the idea of collecting it.

Which sucked because he loved money and this was totally ruining it for him.

He wouldn't go straight to the prince's door. There would probably be extra security there now the castle was aware of the other killer.

So he'd have to go the hard way.

Wilbur raced back to his own room, stuffing stuff back into his satchel. Only after he'd stripped the room of any trace of himself was he satisfied.

He patted his pockets and realized he didn't have his knife. Shit.

It must have fallen out of his pocket somewhere. He'd check the library.